Finding #

Anyone know how to find the hash sign? It must be a reserved character. Searching for it in file names returns nothing.

Cheers, Martin

DEVONthink searches look only at alphanumeric characters, and ignore punctuation marks and other non-alphanumeric characters such as $, #, %, &, etc.

Thanks for the information.

It’s a pity – such symbols are used in file names, and elsewhere. Bookends commonly uses a format for citations and attachment names which is {Smith 2009 #1234}, and it would be useful to find such items.

Edit: bizarrely, I’ve just discovered that I can use Houdah spot to search for #, find it in a DTPO document, and open it in in DTPO. I just can’t do it from inside DTPO. Go figure!

Actually, not bizarre. Expected. Houdah Spot uses Spotlight. If you’re database is configured to create a “Spotlight index”, then a Spotlight index for that database is created in ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/DEVONthink Pro 2/…. If you browse the subfolders there you will find numerous files with a .dtp2 extension. The names will be meaningless to you, but those are the indices that enable Spotlight and its clones such as Houdah Spot locate your database’s documents. Clicking a .dtp2 doc is like clicking an alias – the original is opened in DEVONthink.

@mbbntu: Just a note… It’s always a better idea to NOT use punctuation in a filename, except for one dot before the extension, underscores, or hyphens.

It’s not me that uses punctuation – it’s Bookends. Or at least, it was until I decided to get it to use a different format for renaming attachments. It’s a legacy thing. I’m in the process of reconfiguring much of my data and trying to organise it better. The hashes will disappear during the process. But in the meantime, it would have been useful to be able to find hashes to root out the files with the old naming scheme. However, it can be done with Houdah, so that will help. Though, come to think of it, it may be difficult to avoid using ampersands in file names. Hmmm.

Cheers,
Martin.