For DT's Webmaster: phpbb RSS feed

So…if you implemented this, we could subscribe to an RSS feed of the forum! dOOd!

RSS Content Syndicator
phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=144548

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll have a look at it this weekend!

Best,

Eric.

In all your plentiful spare time of course. :wink:

RSS feed is now available (see link at the bottom of this page or on http://www.devon-technologies.com/service/forum.php).

Best,

Eric.

Wow, that’s GREAT, Eric! Good work and speedy implementation!

Just a quick comment - using NetNewsWire 2.06, I see only code in the preview pane, but hey I don’t care! It’s definitely good enough!

Also on the page pointed to by the link it says you can use DT to view RSS?! I didn’t know that…is it in the Pro version or something I’ve overlooked in 1.9?

I’m not sure I would want to ‘pollute’ my pristine DT data with RSS junk anyway but it would be good to know.

THANKS again for the extra effort!

Chuck

Well, it’s pretty hard reading your post in NNW:

Author: <a href="http://www.devon-technologies.com/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=860" target="_blank">cyol</a>
 Subject: Re: For DT's Webmaster: phpbb RSS feed
 Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:32 pm (GMT 1)
 Topic Replies: 4

<span class="postbody"></span><table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" border="0" align="center"><tr> <td><span class="genmed"><b>admin wrote:</b></span></td> </tr> <tr> <td class="quote">RSS feed is now available</td> </tr></table><span class="postbody"> 
 Wow, that's GREAT, Eric! Good work and speedy implementation! 

Just a quick comment - using NetNewsWire 2.06, I see only code in the preview pane, but hey I don't care! It's definitely good enough! 

Also on the page pointed to by the link it says you can use DT to view RSS?! I didn't know that...is it in the Pro version or something I've overlooked in 1.9? 

I'm not sure I would want to 'pollute' my pristine DT data with RSS junk anyway but it would be good to know. 

THANKS again for the extra effort! 

Chuck </span>

… so I’ll stick with forum browsing in Safari for now. :slight_smile:

Thanks for getting this far so far, Eric.

This seems to be due to the fact that NetNewsWire cannot display HTML code, which is what the “RSS Syndicator” delivers. I’ll have a look at it if I can resolve the issue.

Oops, yes, that’s a DEVONthink Pro feature. Sorry :wink:

Best,

Eric.

Both DEVONagent (1.5) and DEVONthink Pro display the feed without any problems so this might be a NNW bug?!?

Might be. Something else I just noticed:

Running the NetNewsWire to DEVONthink Pro script from NNW creates a text document in DTPro that sometimes contains HTML markup, which looks fine previewed as a DTPro HTML document. But there’s something unusual about the “markup” generated by the script with posts from the forum feed and the HTML preview of them looks bogus.

Does that help isolate the problem?

Btw, how can that script be modified to create an HTML document instead of text? Changing type:txt elements(?) of “create record with” commands(?) to type:html didn’t work, which wasn’t surprising since I’m an absolute beginner with AppleScript.

if you want to write AppleScript,

start Script Editor

click on Window > Library

drop the DEVONthink icon on the Library window.

double click the DEVONthink icon now in the Library window

this will open a window with the syntax of the various commands recognized by DEVONthink.

the commands you want are probably in the last section.

hint: If you drag the example scripts into a DEVONthink group, you can search them for examples of the various commands.

Oh, I know of the AppleScript tools fairly well, just not how to read/write much of the language. :slight_smile:

But I hadn’t noticed Script Editor’s Library window and was still using File->Open Dictionary so thanks for that tip.

I’ve written more than 100 scripts but never checked this menu - lol :slight_smile:

Seems that NetNewsWire or PulpFiction don’t like HTML descriptions encoded as XML although I’ve seen lots of similar feeds while testing DEVONagent for example. Well, DT Pro and DA 1.5 can definitely handle this.

The next beta will include an improved script but this won’t fix this specific issue (because lots of parsing & modifying of the description returned by NNW would be necessary).

I’ll check if Brent has plans to change that in NNW.

I’m only trying to modify the script to create/save an HTML document instead of text, whatever it ends up looking like. A “Convert to HTML” script for post-processing selected items would work fine, too.

The updated script in 1.9beta5 works fine. Thanks!

I’ve changed the RSS feed to a new code. Try this:

devon-technologies.com/phpBB … p?count=25

This should work with every RSS reader now, not only DEVONthink.

Best,

Eric.

works nicely now :smiley:

S_W_E_E_T, Eric!

Bravo.

The Forum newsfeed is now producing an XML parsing error. Here’s the OmniWeb5 error message, in case it helps:

Unable to parse XML (status=6, index=358, line=7, error=Encountered malformed name while parsing EntityReference)

Strange, in DEVONthink Pro it works perfectly. Have you tried another RSS reader?

Best,

Eric.