Foundation framework performSmartRule error

Have a carefully crafted a SmartRule script using Foundation framework that works perfectly in the Apple Script Editor but fails when trying to use it in DevonThink. Have narrowed it down to the simplest example I could.

use AppleScript version "2.4"
use framework "Foundation"
use scripting additions

on performSmartRule(theRecords)
	tell application id "DNtp"
		repeat with theRecord in theRecords
			set theText to plain text of theRecord
			display alert theText
		end repeat
	end tell
end performSmartRule

This script fails with on performSmartRule (Can’t get plain text of content id 22764 of database id 3.)

If I comment out the use framework "Foundation" it works as expected. Which is a non-trivial bummer as the full script explicitly relies upon Foundation framework :frowning:

Any ideas why or how to workaround this?

Development would have to assess this after their return from holiday.

I can only confirm the problem, but lack the knowledge to provide any assistance; sorry.

Still helpful, helps to retain some of my sanity. :slight_smile:

A workaround that works over here is to move the whole AppleScriptObjC part into a script library

Embedded Smart Rule script:

script "Skript-Library - displayAlert"'s displayAlert(theText)
		end repeat
	end tell
end performSmartRule

Script library:

use AppleScript version "2.7"
use scripting additions

on displayAlert(theText)
		try
			activate
			display alert theText

on error error_message number error_number
			activate
			display alert "Error: Handler \"displayAlert\"" message error_message as warning
			error number -128
		end try
	end tell
end displayAlert

Awesome @pete31, am just about to give that strategy to go with my larger script!

1 Like

Here’s my (hopefully) complete example. Many thanks to everyone on the forum that helped to contribute to a working solution.

Use case

Automatically rename, set creation date, move a scanned and OCR’d document in a DevonThink Inbox via a Smart Rule. The document text has an irregular format with numerous dates in various formats with only one date being the desired date that stifles and/or confuses thereby preventing the use of the in-built Scan Text Date functionality.

The resulting name will be in the format: YYYY-MM-DD - Vendor

Text snippet of the target to extract:

Please send payment to address on reverse side - do not staple
ACCOUNT NUMBER
Bill Date
Sep 9, 2020
AMOUNT DUE
128.20 #IP#09#

There are no less than 10 dates in 3 different formats preceding this snippet :man_facepalming:

Requirements

• a reusable library that supports PCRE (full featured regular expressions) that command-line tools such as sed and grep lack
  • ability to capture multiple fields of data with much more complex regular expressions that this simplistic example
  • multi-line matching

Solution

Create the external library in order to use AppleScript+ObjC Foundation framework

If it doesn’t already exist, create the folder ~/Library/Script Libraries - AKA /Users/your-user-name/Library/Script Libraries. This can be done in the shell CLI with mkdir ~/Library/Script\ Libraries.

Can’t find the Library folder? How to Always Show Library Folder in MacOS

Using Apple Script Editor create the library file named DevonThinkLib with the following contents.

use AppleScript version "2.4"
use scripting additions

-- returns a list of regex captures
on regexFindCaptures(theText, thePattern)
	try
		set aString to current application's NSString's stringWithString:theText
		set {theExpr, theError} to current application's NSRegularExpression's regularExpressionWithPattern:(thePattern) options:0 |error|:(reference)

-- execute the regex
		set theMatches to theExpr's matchesInString:aString options:0 range:{0, aString's |length|()}

-- extract the captures from the regex matches
		set theResults to {}
		repeat with aMatch in theMatches

set theRange to (aMatch's rangeAtIndex:1)
			set theString to (aString's substringWithRange:theRange) as text
			if theString is not in theResults then
				set end of theResults to theString
			end if

end repeat

return theResults

activate
		display alert "Error: Handler \"regexFindCaptures\"" message error_message as warning
		error number -128
	end try

end regexFindCaptures

Save/move this script into the ~/Library/Script Libraries folder.

Create the external script for the Smart Rule in DevonThink 3

Using Apple Script Editor create a new script named Parse regex test with the following contents.

-- set to true to enable testing harness in script editor
set debug to false

-- for dev/testing in Script Editor
if name of current application is "Script Editor" then
		set sel to selected records
		my performSmartRule(sel)
	end tell
end if

-- the smart rule handler

set theRegex to "Bill Date.*\\n(\\w{3}\\s\\d{1,2}[,\\s]+\\d{4})"
			set theMatches to script "DevonThinkLib"'s regexFindCaptures(theText, theRegex)
			set theDateString to item 1 of theMatches

try
				set theCreationDate to script "DevonThinkLib"'s parseDate(theDateString)
				if creation date of theRecord is not equal to theCreationDate then
					set creation date of theRecord to theCreationDate
				end if
				activate
				display alert "Error: Handler \"setting creation date\"" message error_message as warning
				error number -128
			end try
		end repeat
	end tell
end performSmartRule

and save/move the file into the <sarcasm>conveniently named and easily accessible</sarcasm> folder ~/Library/Application\ Scripts/com.devon-technologies.think3/Smart\ Rules/

Create the Smart Rule in DevonThink to use the scripts

• All of the following are true
    • Content Matches 123-accountnum-34 AND vendor
    • Kind is PDF/PS
    • Word Count is not 0
  • Perform the following actions: On Demand
    - Change Modification Date Current Date
    - Execute Script External Parse regex test
    - Change name to Short Creation Date - Vendor
    - Move to Group/folder of your choice

Test

Select a document, right-click, Apply rule, select the rule and with luck the magic will happen.

Finale
<sarcasm>
Stand back, review your script and, marvel at how friendly and readable your new English-like script and library syntax is. Nod knowingly that AppleScript has made automation and programming easily accessible to everyday people such as yourself while confounding many, many software engineers for nearly 3 decades (as of 2021). After-all, it is this accessibility and openness that had led to Apple hiding the Library folder in the first place; to help you, help yourself. In hind-sight, the solution was down-right obvious in its pure simplicity.
</sarcasm>

Your mileage will most certainly vary.

I sincerely hope that this above example helps others avoid banging their head against the wall. Copy/paste, modify, expand to you needs. Please feel free to comment with bugs, errors, corrections as I inevitably have injected typos or omissions or other shortcomings whilst putting this together.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if the “debug” scaffolding might be made more flexible by checking if the current application is “Script Editor”. Maybe something like

if name of current application is "Script Editor" then
     set sel to selected records
     my performSmartRule(sel)
  end tell
end if

BTW: the selection is always a list, I think, and selected records is now the preferred way to get at it in DT.
As a side note: I have the impression that your RE in the rule script does not match the example shown above: 3 word characters, followed by exactly one space, followed by optional comma and space, followed by 4 digits - that looks like Jan 1 2021 (or Jan 1, 2021) to me.

@chillek, ooh that’s a much more elegant way to trigger the scaffolding for Script Editor and, yes, the RegEx doesn’t match the example. Have updated the post to incorporate. Thank you sir!

Thanks for all who posted in this thread! It took me a while to figure out with my Smart Rule script didn’t work, while it worked fine in Script Editor / Debugger. Turns out indeed Foundation framework was the culprit. Moving it to the Script Libraries solved the problem!

As an aside: These sheenanigans would not be necessary if the OP used JavaScript. That has Regular Expressions built-in, so ‘Foundation’ is not needed.

1 Like

But who doesn’t enjoy some shenanigans?? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes