Fujitsu fi-7160 fi-7180 w/ DEVONthink

Has anyone figure out a workflow to use either of these scanners to scan documents into DEVONthink (Pro Office)? ScanSnap Manager does not support these devices. fScanX and VueScan support these scanners in Mac OS, but there is no straightforward integration with DEVONthink, or even scanning by hitting the scan button on the machine.

As far as I can tell, Fujitsu doesn’t currently offer a Mac-compatible driver or software for this scanner. I don’t have information about Mac software that may be capable of interfacing with this scanner to allow its use with an OS X Mac. If you have such software and can send scanner output to a folder on the Mac, the output files can be captured to DEVONthink Pro Office for OCR and conversion to a searchable PDF.

For example, the designated folder (which should NOT be Inbox) can be set up to automatically send files to DEVONthink Pro Office for OCR, followed by deletion of the original file in the designated folder. How to:

1. In the Finder, select and Control-click on the designated folder. In the contextual menu, select Services > Folder Actions Setup

2. Choose DEVONthink - Import, OCR & Delete.scpt

DEVONthink Pro Office must be running. Now, when a file is deposited in the designated folder, it will be sent to DEVONthink Pro Office, OCRed and the original file will afterwards be deleted from the designated folder.

I’m a fan of Fujitsu’s consumer-level scanners that use the ScanSnap Manager driver software. In my experience they are well designed and built and are fast, reliable and rugged. I’m sure that translates to their business-class scanners also.

Around 2008 it was posted in the following blog post, that DevonThink Pro was using scanner drivers from ExactCode:

blog.devontechnologies.com/2008/ … ing-again/

As ExactCode offers a driver for the fi-7160 i was wondering, why there is no support for this scanner from DevonThink Pro:

exactscan.com/compatiblescanner.shtml

Or what am i getting wrong?

We are not using DevonThink Pro yet, but want to soon and we are now looking for the best scanner option for at least two workplaces. We are also using Software from Datev on Windows within Parallels Desktop and we were encouraged to buy the Fujitsu fi-7160, at least for the use with Windows.

Any advice is appeciated. Thanks!

@krlklm: The context of that 2008 announcement was this: An Apple bug messed up use of Image Capture for driving scanners. A temporary arrangement was made with ExactCode. In July, 2008 Image Capture worked again. It turned out that the ExactCode solution had not worked for some scanners in our user community (without additional coding), although the full scanner driver software would work for your scanner, and can be purchased from ExactCode.

I used a Mac-compatible ScanSnap scanner purchased in 2005 for years. At that time there were firmware differences in Mac and PC models of the scanner. A Mac-compatible app, ScanSnap Manager, works very sell with DEVONthink Pro Office. I’m currently using a ScanSnap iX500, with ScanSnap Manager software. I’m delighted with it. When configured in the Applications tab to notify DEVONthink Pro of the location of a new scanner output file, a searchable PDF is saved in a DEVONthink database.

I’m not sure whether or not the ExactCode software can automatically notify DEVONthink Pro Office in a similar way. If not, you can save output files to a designated folder (NOT Inbox), and use a Folder Actions script to send the files to DEVONthink for OCR.