Fullscreen (no UI elements) while viewing PDFs

Yes, please, add it. christmas wishlist

I’m not sure why it would be considered essential when it doesn’t infringe on the functionality. :thinking:

1 Like

because it’s so much nicer for the reading experience.

4 Likes

The UI bar is annoying and I can’t concentrate on the document I’m viewing.

For example, with Apple’s genuine photo app, the UI disappears with a single tap and you can view your photos in full screen.
Have you ever taken pictures of your family or landscape on your iPhone or iPad?
What do you think if you can’t erase the upper and lower UIs when you want to take a closer look at a photo of an important person or thing?
Don’t you think the UI gets in the way? The same is true when viewing a document.

If you use the app infrequently, you may not find this a problem.
It may be trivial for you,
From the standpoint of reading various documents over and over for hours, the inability to erase the UI hinders concentration.
Productivity is also reduced and it is a very fatal problem. I feel that the value of the app is greatly reduced.

Since the UI cannot be erased, it is very inefficient because it has to be reopened with another reader application.
I’m not requesting a very difficult feature, and I’m very sorry that I didn’t understand the value of such a trivial and effective feature and continued to neglect it.

I’ve been waiting for this feature since the beta version of DTTG2, but I gave up and changed to a workflow using another app.
I found that the comment was updated recently, so I added the comment again.

If you’ve seen this and think full-screen functionality is just as important as I am, please help me more.

3 Likes

just tap into the PDF to remove the thumbnail bar (it‘s almost full screen then)

that‘s how it is - just look how long it took to get the search results sortable (an essential feature for me, long missed).
Love it, leave it or change it :slight_smile:

+1 for the request being able to hide the toolbar when reading PDFs

Not exactly sure what you mean @Airestocky, but glad for the +1! Would be nice to be able to read a PDF like you have the document in front of you, without toolbars being present.

2 Likes

I would like full screen, yes, as an aesthetic improvement, but I really have to again request the ability to fully disable the thumbnail bar at the bottom of the page. Yes, I know a tap will hide it, but it is VERY easy to reveal it without noticing and then, just an instant later, before you even see it pop up, to tap it again and be sent to some random page in the document.

If you are using an iPad Pro to read (as I do) and are reading long documents this literally happens once every hour or two (as the bottom bezel is so thin.) Finding my place again is ridiculously time consuming… one document I am working on right now is 1400 pages long with chapters that are up to 200 pages in length.

I feel that this is beyond a simple feature request, but a very egregious flaw in the app… perhaps only felt by folks with iPad pros who work with lengthy documents. One should not have to concentrate so not accidentally losing your place so easily.

While I admire your discipline with regard to feature creep, I again assert that this is not a feature, but a correction to a deep flaw in the reader.

1 Like

Instead of using DTTG’s native PDF viewer for reading and annotating documents, I use the “open in app” feature to read PDFs in Acrobat. The lack of a full screen PDF viewer in DTTG is the final straw that pushed me use another app.

But this has introduced extra complications into my workflow. When I’m working on my MacBook and iPad simultaneously, the sync is often buggy and I end up with duplicate documents. It’s a mess and totally interrupts my reading experience to constantly be juggling between different windows to check that I’m not accidentally annotating two different versions of the file. I don’t know if annotating with DTTG’s native PDF viewer would alleviate this issue - but I haven’t bothered testing it because I don’t want to read these PDFs unless I can do it in full screen.

(@BLUEFROG, I’m happy to test it if doing so would help the devs debug the app.) My point is that I prefer to use a full screen PDF viewer even if it introduces some extra annoyances and bugginess. I guess I would say that full screen mode is essential for me.

I don’t know if there any openings in our DEVONthink To Go beta pool at this time.

+1

I agree with it. A fullscreen function is necessary. All of PDF Apps auf iOS have this function.

2 Likes

Are there any updates to this request? I have ADHD and focus is a big issue for me. With the navigation bar always present when viewing PDFs it makes it incredibly hard to keep my brain focused on the actual content. Even if it just faded away to a black background it would still be preferable from an accessibility standpoint.

Sorry but no there is nothing more to report at this time.

1 Like

I apologize if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but not only +1 for the above but I also realized that bitmap images, when displayed in landscape mode (horizontal iPhone), actually have their bottom cropped by the interface. Unless I missed something really obvious, it’s impossible to hide the UI by tapping once on the image, nor is it possible to zoom out in order to see the cropped pixels. IMHO this problem is related to the issue above and is a rather important missing feature (for an app that is meant to index, edit and display documents). Please add the possibility to view the full area of a document without any UI. Thanks.

Still pretty keen on this feature; any progress?

Nothing to report.

Hi there,

I would love to read my PDFs in Fullscreen without a UI.
This would make Devonthink To Go my only PDF reading App.
For reading longer Dokuments like Filmscripts I still have to export to another App.
+1 from my side too!!

Thank you.

Thank you for the suggestion! This is on our (long) to-do list but, given that we have many very different viewers and editors, harder that it sounds.

Ok,
thank you Eric.
by the way: Ich liebe Devonthink!
Hammerprogramm!!

4 Likes