Ghost windows + database

Hi,

currently evaluating DTPO in trial.
For the second time now I do have the problem that there is a ‘non-existent/empty’ opened Window for a file.
Right-clicking on the dock-icon shows me there is an instance opened, but when I click it, it shows me the blank desktop - so I can’t close it.
I believe it happened when I ‘revealed’ the document out of the global search.

Also, I recall to have installed DTP some years ago, uninstalled it, deleted my trial database - but its folder icon + name still shows up when I right-click the current DTPO dock icon, but nothing happens when I click it.
The documents described above were not part of that database.

• macOS 10.14.4
  • DTPO 2.11.3
  • Reboot or quitting and reopening does not work
  • No idea how it solved itself last time
  • Can’t reproduce reliably

No screenshots for privacy reasons, could provide them over private channels if necessary

Any ideas?
Thank you very much!

Was this machine connected to an external monitor at some point?

Choose File > Close Database > Close All. Is the window still reported as being open?

Yes it was - but didn’t show with the external monitor connected nor disconnected.
Closing the database helped with the window, I don’t think this should be intended behaviour, though.

Thank you.

Is it normal that there is a persistent but non-interactable “DevonThink Pro.dtBase2” database in the dock menu or is that a reminiscent of an old installation?

Closing the database helped with the window

Is the window reported again if you reopen the database?

Is it normal that there is a persistent but non-interactable “DevonThink Pro.dtBase2” database in the dock menu

It’s normal if you deleted the database in the Finder and emptied the system Trash.

Is the window reported again if you reopen the database?

No, after closing and opening the database it is not reported open again. Your answer helped, thank you!

I did not formulate this well - I don’t think it should be intended behavior of a nonexistent/not showing window being reported as open - disconnected from an external monitor previously or not.

It’s normal if you deleted the database in the Finder and emptied the system Trash.

Probably what I did, then. Didn’t know about the proper procedure.
Any easy fix? If necessary, I could live with it until a new Mac, I guess.

Any easy fix?

Not really. Trashing the preferences would likely resolve this, but that’s a “killing a fly with a sledgehammer” approach.

1 Like

Alright - pity, but not that a big deal.

Thank you very much for your timely and concise responses, much appreciated!

You’re very welcome.