Global Inbox and Sorter

Thank you for the finally fully functional global inbox.

Would you please explain for dummies like me, how exactly this global inbox is working?

Launching the app all items from the global inbox have been imported in the database window under ‘Global’. But it did not empty the folder in Applications Support → DEVONthink Pro 2 → Inbox. Have we to do this manually after importing?

With DT Pro open I dragged some items to the global Inbox, but they were not imported immediately to the global Inbox.

The Help file says:

I am glad the Sorter did not play a sound, but I would like an optical sign like the jumping icon in the dock, when items have been imported successfully.
In my case they have not been imported from the global Inbox, dragging them to an other database’s Inbox worked as it should.

Update:

I got a bunch of never seen error messages and suddenly two Sorters on the desktop, quit DT Pro and after a restart the folder Application Support -> Inbox has been reimported to the Global Inbox and finally emptied. The global Inbox shows now 994 items and a folder called Inbox with 480 items, most of them duplicates. Ufff. (This folder has been the reason, I did not find recently imported items, at first launch I thought, they are identical, obviously searching the wrong folder.)

I have two Inboxes in Application Support -> DEVONthink Pro 2. One with the same Icon as the open DT window, the other called Inbox.dtbase2. Is this the Inbox for every open database?

In ‘Globals’ is a Trash, containing a (previous?) Global Inbox and another one, from my default database. OK?

Finally after the restart I got the sounds when dragging items to the Sorter. Unfortunately, in my case. I hate speaking machines.
But my real problems are the increasing amount of inboxes. I hope I will get them sorted out one day.

It should. What kind of files are in this folder?

All of them are rtf-, rtfd- and text-items I captured with the shortcut assigned in preferences.

Could you please check the permissions of the files? Thank you!

I see two Inboxes in Finder. The one I thought would be the global Inbox shows no items in Finder, but 2 in Sorter window at the desktop. (I dragged and captured them for testing, DT is not running.)

The other Inbox is a package, looks like a DT database in Finder, 63,2 MB at the moment.

Both Inboxes have the following rights: Me - read and write, others and unknown - read only.

Would it be useful to send you some screenshots?

Only the folder ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Inbox is synchronized on startup, you can ignore the Inbox.dtBase2 package. Does the folder contain anything?

These two folder are both in ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2. The Inbox is empty, 44KB. The Inbox.dtBase2 package contains 63,2 MB. I did not have this package before the update. Should I import this database and then delete it?

No. Inbox.dtBase2 is the global inbox, the folder ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Inbox is just a temporary storage used by the Sorter.

But why is this global Inbox.dtBase 2 not emptied when launching the database? And why should I ignore it?

Sorry for these questions, but I want my Inboxes sorted out. :confused:

Because this is the global inbox, why should it be emptied? Like I said - ignore this package, if you’re experiencing troubles, then it’s related to the folder (and only to the folder) ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Inbox.

And this folder is NOT the inbox, only a temporary storage created by the Sorter of previous betas.