Global Inbox Sync and Index Folders

I noticed recently that my Global Inbox was not syncing using Dropbox. Nothing was working that I read in the forums, and I realized I had an indexed folder (ironically, a Dropbox Folder!) in my Global Inbox. So, I removed it and the sync worked again.
How can I setup an index folder for a Dropbox Folder outside the Global Inbox? It doesn’t need to sycn with any of my other databases.

You can index into any database via File > Index Files and Folders.
However, I suggest you don’t do this without reading and understanding the In & Out > Importing & Indexing section of the built-in Help and manual.

Thanks. I’m indexing a Dropbox folder because I don’t want to increase the size of my database-- the Dropbox folder is huge and I don’t want to sync. It sounds like I could import the folder into a separate database and not sync. Importing copies and doesn’t move files, correct?

Was there something you wanted me to see specifically?

Correct. Importing copies; indexing links.

Was there something you wanted me to see specifically?

Yes. All of it :slight_smile: People need to understand the ramifications the connection between DEVONthink and the filesystem when using indexed files.

I’m indexing a Dropbox folder because I don’t want to increase the size of my database-- the Dropbox folder is huge and I don’t want to sync.

May I ask why you’re indexing such a huge Dropbox folder?

I wanted an easier way to search and organize or view files and find common files quickly. I don’t want to use DT3 to launch and edit files.

If files are copied, does that means that I’ll always have two versions of a file-one in DT3 and one in Dropbox?

I wanted an easier way to search and organize or view files and find common files quickly. I don’t want to use DT3 to launch and edit files.

Note DEVONthink isn’t a Finder or Spotlight replacement.

If files are copied, does that means that I’ll always have two versions of a file-one in DT3 and one in Dropbox?

Yes, of course… unless you choose to delete one or the other.