Globally change group and smart group icons

Is there a way to change the icons for groups and smart groups in DT3 so that all groups in the program use them? Sorry, but I HATE the group icons in DT3. I know I can copy and paste icons from the Finder, but that is a chore if there are more than a few.

Thanks.

No, there is nothing built-in for doing this (especially as we love the icons :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

That’s a shame. I’m having a really tough time with DT3. I would like to like it, but I’m afraid I can’t. Every time I give it a go, I end up reverting to Finder because I can’t hack the interface. It’s all very personal, of course, but that is the way it is. Thanks for the swift reply.

It’s possible with custom meta data and two smart rules. One searches for groups, one searches for smart groups whose custom meta data “icongeaendert” is 0.

Set up your custom meta manually and set it to 1 for Inbox , Annotations and Tags as you probably don’t want to change these icons.

Only tested it on a test database (not on all databases and the global inbox), so maybe I’ve missed something…

-- Change icons

property iconPath : "/Users/user/Desktop/Test.png"

on performSmartRule(theRecords)
	tell application id "DNtp"
		try
			repeat with theRecord in theRecords
				set thumbnail of theRecord to iconPath
				add custom meta data 1 for "icongeaendert" to theRecord
			end repeat

on error error_message number error_number
			if the error_number is not -128 then display alert "DEVONthink" message error_message as warning
		end try
	end tell
end performSmartRule

I never cease to be amazed when someone promptly writes an AppleScript to achieve something. Many thanks, it is kind of you to take the trouble, and it is much appreciated. I will give it a go.

Adapting to DT3 has been something of a purgatory to me, but I may yet get there.

Thanks once again.