Go to last moved document

Hi,

Is there a method to go to the document you moved last? I can’t find one, but I may have missed it.

Use case: you refile a document to another group (I usually use Cmd-Ctl-M (Move to...), but it would apply whenever a document is moved to a new group) and you want to follow it to its new home to see it’s settling in nicely.

At the moment, AFAIK, you can

• try to use Cmd-[ (Go > Back) and hope that it works. IME it usually doesn’t and you get the document before the one you’re after; or

• use Go > To Document (or Group) and type in the document / group name, which works but is fiddly for something which can be done several times a day.

Org-mode in Emacs has commands (org-capture-last-stored and org-refile-last-stored) which take you the document you last moved for precisely this scenario, and they are very useful.

Does DT3 have an equivalent?

If not, please could it be a feature request to add the equivalent command to the Go menu?

Many thanks.

You might want to check this thread, in which @pete31 so kindly provided me with a solution for exactly that problem.

I think I ended up adapting the script a little bit; anyway, this is what I have used for ages (it opens a new window, partially overlaying the original one, at the location of the last moved document, with that document marked):

tell application id "DNtp"
	try
		set currDate to current date
		set theComparisonDate to currDate - 86400

set theDatabases to databases
		repeat with thisDatabase in theDatabases
			set thisDatabasesResults to search "additionDate >" & theComparisonDate in (root of thisDatabase)
			if thisDatabasesResults ≠ {} then
				repeat with i from (count thisDatabasesResults) to 1 by -1
					set theRecord to item i in thisDatabasesResults
					if type of theRecord is not in {group, smart group} and type of parent 1 of theRecord is not feed then
						set thisDatabasesLastAdded to theRecord
						exit repeat
					end if
				end repeat
				try
					if (addition date of thisDatabasesLastAdded) ≥ theComparisonDate then
						set theComparisonDate to (addition date of thisDatabasesLastAdded)
						set globalLastAdded to thisDatabasesLastAdded
					end if
				end try
			end if
		end repeat

if viewer window 1 exists then
			set theBounds to bounds of viewer window 1
			set newWindow to open window for record parent 1 of globalLastAdded
			set bounds of newWindow to {(item 1 of theBounds) + 22, (item 2 of theBounds) + 22, ((item 3 of theBounds)), (item 4 of theBounds)}
		else
			set newWindow to open window for record parent 1 of globalLastAdded
		end if

set selection of newWindow to {globalLastAdded}
		activate

on error error_message number error_number
		if the error_number is not -128 and error_number is not -2753 then
			display alert "DEVONthink 3" & space & error_number message error_message as warning
		end if
	end try
end tell
2 Likes

Hah, thank you!

I searched on ‘Move…’, not ‘Jump…’ so didn’t find that… @pete31 really is a mine of useful scripts :grinning:. And thank you for your amendment, too. I shall check it out.

Many thanks!

For DT3 support: it would nice if this could be implemented in a future release, though I realise that there’s a long list…

Regards,

David

Thing is, it is really simple just to implement it yourself :slight_smile: I’ve even designed a little icon for the script, so it sits (together with a number of others) in my toolbar and is used daily :slight_smile:

True, but then you have to search for how to do it and implement it.

We already have ‘Move to [same group as last move]…’, which is the same principle. ‘Go to [same group as last move]…’ is another convenience along the same lines.

Anyway, thanks for your pointer. It’s really helpful!

That is part of the fun - and it makes it fully customisable :slight_smile: It’s ok, I get your feedback - I’m just more for DT adding things I can’t add myself than spending their limited resources on stuff the user can do. Well, with @pete31’s aid, anyway :smiley:

3 Likes

The next release will add this command (as it sounds indeed useful).

8 Likes

Thanks very much, Christian!

@cgrunenberg

Just a quick thank you for having added the command to V3.8.6.

I’m always impressed by how responsive you and the team are to this sort of relatively minor (in the grand scheme of things) but useful ‘quality of life’ request. I appreciate you can’t always make changes, but it’s clear that you do it when you can, and it’s very welcome!

6 Likes

You’re welcome and thanks for the nice feedback!

1 Like