Jump to last used group

For documents which I don’t regularly receive, my workflow is as follows:

• scan document to DT global inbox
  • classify document by selecting a suggested group in See Also & Classify
  • from the sidebar select the database and group I have just sent the document to
  • see how I named the previous versions of that document
  • rename the document I have just added to fit the pattern used previously

I do have a fixed naming convention, and in many cases documents are automatically renamed on that basis; in many other cases I can rename based on the convention. But a number of outliers remain.

Is there any way I can jump to (ie show) the group I have just moved a document to? Or is there a variable in script (last used group or something of the kind?) That would speed up the above workflow no end. And that’s what it’s all about… :wink:

1 Like

Just a wild guess… I have this smart group “today”. If you look there for the latest record and its group?

Yeah, that might be scriptable, actually - good idea, thx - I’ll play with that

This script opens parent 1 of the last added record.

Not sure if that’s useful in your workflow, but as moving a record doesn’t change the modification date of a group this seems to be the nearest you’ll get.

It is a based on Script: Open last added record.

-- Open parent 1 of last added record

tell application id "DNtp"
	try
		set currDate to current date
		set theComparisonDate to currDate - 86400

set theDatabases to databases
		repeat with thisDatabase in theDatabases
			set thisDatabasesResults to search "additionDate >" & theComparisonDate in (root of thisDatabase)
			if thisDatabasesResults ≠ {} then
				repeat with i from (count thisDatabasesResults) to 1 by -1
					set theRecord to item i in thisDatabasesResults
					if type of theRecord is not in {group, smart group} and type of parent 1 of theRecord is not feed then
						set thisDatabasesLastAdded to theRecord
						exit repeat
					end if
				end repeat
				try
					if (addition date of thisDatabasesLastAdded) ≥ theComparisonDate then
						set theComparisonDate to (addition date of thisDatabasesLastAdded)
						set globalLastAdded to thisDatabasesLastAdded
					end if
				end try
			end if
		end repeat

open window for record (parent 1) of globalLastAdded
		activate

on error error_message number error_number
		if the error_number is not -128 then
			display alert "DEVONthink 3" & space & error_number message error_message as warning
		end if
	end try
end tell
1 Like

Thank you for that. I’m going to make spaghetti with mushrooms and tomato sauce now. Would you like some? When I’ve done that, I’m going to have a beer. And when I’ve done that, I’m going to implement your script as a little button. And as I don’t have to write it myself, I’ve got the evening off :smiley:

Is there any way of opening the group in the current window rather than opening a new one? (edit: on second thoughts it’s probably actually more convenient having it open in a new window, and closing that with ⌘W when I’ve finished).

Thanks man - perfect solution :+1:

1 Like
set root of viewer window 1 to parent 1 of globalLastAdded

Cheers! :slight_smile:

1 Like

With this

set selection of (open window for record parent 1 of globalLastAdded) to {globalLastAdded}
activate

you could press enter and start typing without manually selecting the record :wink:

getting better all the time - is there a way to define the bounds of the window which is opened within the open command? I know how to do it as a separate command with set the bounds of window - but that is optically less pleasing, because the window opens and then moves. What I want to do is open the second window a number of pixels to the right and down from the original window - so it appears stacked. I’ve tried simply adding bounds or with bounds but that isn’t recognised.

No.

if viewer window 1 exists then
		set theBounds to bounds of viewer window 1
		set newWindow to open window for record parent 1 of globalLastAdded
		set bounds of newWindow to {(item 1 of theBounds) + 22, (item 2 of theBounds) + 22, ((item 3 of theBounds) + 22), (item 4 of theBounds) + 22}
	else
		set newWindow to open window for record parent 1 of globalLastAdded
	end if

set selection of newWindow to {globalLastAdded}
	activate

Not sure if this is also

but as far as I know there’s no other way

That’s basically what I did, but I wasn’t aware I could define a window name on opening it - that makes the process more reliable, thx :slight_smile:

Thanks again for helping and for your time; your code is cleaner than mine was, so you’ve added to my skills set too :slight_smile:

1 Like