Good-bye, Blanc

I’m very sad to read this, he was always helpful. If you get the opportunity or the family mention anything, please let us know if he had a favourite charity he’d have liked donations to go to.

4 Likes

I will definitely do. His sister might visit this thread eventually, as I pointed her to it, but not write as @Blanc as it would feel weird.

7 Likes

Devonthink is my No1 piece of software and my reason for staying loyal to Mac. It is amazing to me that a small group of people created and maintained Devonthink so as to produce software consistently so much more useful than the software created by much bigger companies. It is a great sadness that one of that team is now gone, and so young. Please know that what you have all created is appreciated every day it is used, which for me, really is every day. RIP.

9 Likes

Thanks you for sharing the news of his passing. I think we have all benefitted enormously from his contributions and his instructions for his family to contact DT seem entirely in character, though I’d think it amazing if anyone else did it. That act of thoughtfulness describes his presence here, though—such a wealth of knowledge and considerate advice shared with everyone despite (it seems) having an incredibly active personal and professional life as well. Although our professions are quite different (healthcare for him and history for me), his advice was so thoughtfully given that it could have applied to just about any profession. He will be missed.

I also want to take this opportunity to thank other members of the community for supporting DT as well as one another. It’s a real pleasure to share genuine joy in using well-designed technology. Not every app or community manages to bring joy, but that might be because they don’t have Blanc and others like him as examples. Let’s carry on his memory as an inspiration for how we can help make the world a better place in our own ways, not just in the forums, but in all of our interactions with others.

11 Likes

Thank you very much! However, @Blanc was a regular forum member and not employed by us (even though we probably would have not hesitated a second to employ him). But, as mentioned, there was an additional connection with him also outside this forum, in the real world.

5 Likes

Very sad news. My condolences to all of his loved ones.

6 Likes

Forgive me if this is out of place (please delete it if so!)-

I did not know or interact with Blanc (I try to learn by lurking when I can, but that’s all I can manage).

This thread, however, serves as a truly moving, heartfelt eulogy for a person who clearly managed to do something I consider generally impossible- making the internet a better place.

“Whether among its coarse, rough, poor and untidily mouldering lower orders or among its monotonously frigid and tediously tidy higher orders…” N. Gogol

Whether it’s this enclave, some horrifying viral podium, or outside, in real life, I’m reading the description of a good person, of good character. That is as joyous as it is heartbreaking.

(Amidst these emotional words, I see great qualities of this community, too)

I’m sorry for the loss so many are feeling, and wish the best to his friends and family and community (including present company).

8 Likes

Sad news… (

5 Likes

So sorry for your loss :cry:

5 Likes

Blanc was always helpful. We will all miss him. :frowning_face:

6 Likes

This is so sad. Blanc was an amazing person. Let’s keep his example in mind not just here, but in all the other public spaces we inhabit.

7 Likes

Thank you all so much for your heartfelt comments and condolences – they have moved me and my family beyond words. I´m Blanc´s sister. I feel for all of you who are experiencing the loss of someone who has made a difference. I´d like to quote @FROBGOBLIN: Let’s carry on his memory as an inspiration for how we can help make the world a better place in our own ways, not just in the forums, but in all of our interactions with others.

I´m new to DT and being more of a creative nature, it´s unlikely that I´ll be able to offer any of the useful advice that Blanc did :wink: But you might like to know that his dedicated use of DT is helping us deal with all of the necessary legal and organisational issues that crop up when someone passes. That makes me feel very grateful. Blanc´s instructions also led me to Eric, who in turn led me here.

Blanc would regularly mention DT when I visited him and I know how much he appreciated the community and the functionality that DT offers. He wasn´t someone to use tools he found less than perfect or where he felt that there was no real commitment – his role here shows how he felt that he had found something that really met his standards. Thank you to everyone involved.

25 Likes

Blanc didn´t regularly donate money but he donated much of his lifetime to various causes - both professionally and charitably. I´m sure that he would have appreciated a donation to a medical charity or one that supports paramedic services. I´ll look into this and get back to you. Thank you so much for asking.

11 Likes

Stay with us Blanche.

3 Likes

Thank you. I will :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Just returned to work in the new year and read all these messages. It was always such a pleasure to see his name in a post, because one knew that something really helpful and kind would be written. It is such a shame to leave so young.

8 Likes

I join the DEVONthink family in our grief for @Blanc’s passing. Dying at 46 is not fair. He’ll be missed.

6 Likes

I just saw this thread a few minutes ago. Like other’s I appreciated his willingness to put in time and energy to help strangers a world a way.

In some small way I hope it helps to know that his kindness spread as far as Canada.

May his memory be a blessing.

7 Likes

@Blanche: The above comment sparked the realization of how internationally loved / respected your brother was! Outside of Antarctica (but who knows!), he helped people literally around the world. :heart:

4 Likes

@BLUEFROG @mlevison It´s heartwarming to read how far my brother´s kindness and wisdom reached and despite sadness, it makes me smile. Thank you :heart:. He gave and achieved so much in his too short a life and I admire him greatly for that. He knew this, I´m glad to say :wink:

4 Likes