Having some issues with certain PDFs not opening in DEVONthink

Wondering if this is a known issue.

I have a bunch of PDFs that were created using MS Word on macOS. They’ve been imported into DEVONthink but DEVONthink won’t open them (it will show them in Preview though). I can only open them from DT using external programs.

They also won’t open when their DEVONthink link is clicked in an external app. The app will lose focus in the menu bar at the top of macOS, but focus won’t switch to DEVONthink, and the PDF itself isn’t opened. The only time the links for these PDFs will work is when the are already up in the Preview pane before I click the link, then I will be switched to DEVONthink as expected.

I managed to fix this behaviour for a couple of the PDFs by using convert to PDF within DEVONthink to create a new copy, then deleting the original. However this isn’t fixing some of the others.

Any ideas what’s going on here?

And what’s shown after trying to open them in a new window? A screenshot would be useful. In addition, which version of DEVONthink and macOS?

Nothing is shown. Nothing happens at all other after either double clicking on the PDFs in question, or selecting Open from the right-click menu, other than DEVONthink simply losing focus in the OS (greyed out in the top menu).

Eg. from:
Screenshot 2022-08-11 at 17.14.20
to
Screenshot 2022-08-11 at 17.13.00

I’m on DEVONthink Standard Edition 3.8.5.

And macOS Monterey 12.4

Is anything logged to Window > Log? Are you able to reveal the file in the Finder?

Strangely enough the last remaining documents that hadn’t been fixed by doing Convert > To PDF yesterday, are now working perfectly today with no further intervention. Not sure what happened yesterday, but it seems all is well now.

Nothing in Window > Log.

Do you use a beta of Ventura now?

Nope. I actually had to look that up, didn’t realised that’s the name of the next release of macOS.

And macOS Monterey 12.4

The current version of macOS Monterey is 12.5. We suggest you stay current with the operating system and our point releases.