Help! Disaster re my files

Hi all,

Really desperate here, I spent days and weeks organising my documents and my Mac crashed recently. All I have is a silly 800mb+ .dtCloud file on a webdav server which refuses to sync or bring back my files after I reinstalled Mac. Why is the 800mb+ containing none of my actual files?

R

This is very unfortunate. I suggest you open a ticket directly with Support (here or here or support_at_devontechnologies_dot_com), where you can get faster, more personalized attention than the forum.

Hi. I am so sorry to hear that. Korm is right, that you really need to contact support before going any further.

But, for other folks reading this, I strongly recommend using Time Machine to backup your files. It is almost effortless: plug in an external drive, follow the prompts, and your Mac will automatically backup everything. Apparently, some people have moved beyond this into the completely effortless territory of wireless external drives. Then, you don’t even need to plug it in, and it takes a snapshot of your computer every hour. As an added benefit, and one of the reasons I love using a Mac, you can encrypt the drive as well.

Of course, there are also cloud backup solutions. I no longer use it, but I think SpiderOak is a great choice – technically not a “backup,” but it does enable you to completely encrypt your data and have it available on the cloud. However, I like to have my backups in hand as well, just in case.

At any rate, you want to be doing something. I hope the OP finds a solution, and for anyone else reading this, please do backup in order to avoid any problems (with DEVONthink or any other applications).

Though we strongly advocate proper primary backups using TimeMachine (or similar application) and external drives, our President, Eric also uses Arq for his cloud backups.

I agree. While I use time machine (and have restored boot drives on many macs without any issues) I recently bought into Arq and will soon terminate my subscription to Backblaze (but TM is my core solution). Unless I’m not remembering correctly, I have Jim to thank for suggesting Arq in an older post. Thanks.

In 2016 I made two great decisions technology wise: 1) Go all in with Devonthink. 2) Purchase Arq (with lifetime upgrades) and the unlimited Amazon Drive subscription.

Arq is ridiculously flexible. You can back up to a variety of cloud services, other computers, remote computers, and external HDDs. All encrypted.

I have some of my back ups set to hourly, others to once a day.

Not affiliated with Arq or Amazon.

– Stephen

Nice. Glad to hear it’s working for you too!