Help With Web Server - Connecting to PC on Work Network

Another DEVONthink newbie question.

I have read the documentation for how to use the web server and I can’t tell if I am able to use this service in my particular situation.

I have a PC at work that I would like to access my database which is stored on MacBook Pro. I work in healthcare, so our network is secured.

I am not sure if using the web server is a possibility in my case, then. Does anyone know how I could go about this or can point me towards some resources that may explain how to set this up?

My knowledge is very limited in the realm of servers and networks, so if there is any information that I have not given here that would be helpful, please let me know. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

This is covered in the DEVONthink Pro Office manual (devontechnologies.com/downl … nuals.html
), starting on p.44. However, the the webserver is ideally built for use on a local network. If you are wanting to access it from outside a network, you would need port-forwarding to be set up. There are some hints in the manual, but port-forwarding is equipment and environment specific. Your IT department can easily disallow traffic on any non-standard ports or shut you down at the firewall.

The port forwarding sounded like it may be the direction I need to go, but I wasn’t finding many resources on the web quickly that seemed to make sense of the process for me. Does anyone know of any good resources on port forwarding?

I do anticipate that I will probably run into security issues and will not be able to get that method to work.

One other thing I am confused on is am I able to create a LAN by connecting my PC to my MacBook Pro? Does this bypass the need to connect to the same wifi to set up a LAN over wifi? Or, does this still run into issues with firewalls and security measures that my IT department may have set up.

Again, I am very inexperienced in the world of networks. I thought I would ask here before I tried to track down cables and adapters to connect the two just to find out it won’t work. :slight_smile:

As I mentioned, port-forwarding is equipment and environment specific. This means you’d need to know what router type, etc. and also have access/control/permission to forward the ports.

I have no data on this, but…

Even if you got this set up, you could still be running afoul of IT security policies but setting up such a network. I would certainly talk to them first.