Home and work access to DT

Hi all,

I am a long time user of DT on my home computer.

My work (a university) is upgrading me from a PC to a Mac and I’d like to be able to use my work-related DT databases on this new computer. My question is: is it better for me to add my second DT seat to a work networked computer, or should I request that my work purchases a DT subscription for this new machine? If the latter, will I be able to sync my DT databases on my home computer to my work machine, and if so, how?

Thank you!

AMA

s it better for me to add my second DT seat to a work networked computer, or should I request that my work purchases a DT subscription for this new machine?

Actually, this would be a question for your IT department first. Installing and licensing personal software on a work machine could be a violation of their security policy. I have two words for you that make any IT person sweat: Software Audit. :flushed: And trust me, I’ve had to deal with this (including uninstalling these apps) more than once in my life.

If the latter, will I be able to sync my DT databases on my home computer to my work machine, and if so, how?

Not enough info to make a determination as it depends on what kind of sync method could be used. Some thoughts…

• What Apple ID will be the Mac be logged into?
    • If not your own, can they install Dropbox on the Mac?
      • If so, are you already syncing DEVONthink on your Mac to Dropbox? (Ideally not.)
  • If a remote solution isn’t feasible, does it violate security policy to attach your own external hard drive to the machine?
    • If this is allowed, you could use a local sync store on a connected drive. Then just shuttle it home with your, connect it to your Mac, and sync away. (And don’t be lulled into the “that’s old-fashioned. Everything’s on the cloud!” thinking. If connecting a drive is allowed, I would opt for this as my first option to explore.)
1 Like