How are you using the outline feature?

DT 1.7 introduced an intriguing outline feature, different in many aspects from other software outliners.

How are you using it?

Fred:

I posed a similar question a few minutes ago. Have you had any interesting replies worth sharing?

Scott

I’ve used OmniOutliner to create outlines previously, and didn’t see much use for a checkbox feature in DT. But OO isn’t a database, and with this feature I can now quickly mark items in DT as important or pending. For example, using DT as a simple image catalogue, I can convert a folder of photos into an outline with check boxes and check the photos I want to get printed (or deleted, or edited, etc.), then sort accordingly. (This was how I found a peculiar zooming quirk in split views.) Similar uses could be found in relation to other types of files.

DT has great potential for image management, and even now I prefer it to alternatives for its smoothness and ease of use. Of course, it still needs quite a few more features in this area before it can be considered a serious option by those who have more intensive cataloguing needs than I do; but nevertheless, it is a surprisingly stable and fast foundation for this kind of use.

I’m writing a book with DT as my textbase and OO as my outliner. Right now, the Outline feature in DT is not all that useful. I use it sometimes to create quick views of folder contents, then drag and drop items into appropriate folders. The check-box feature will be useful for marking items that I’ve used or cited in the text. I hope very much that a near-future version of DT will feature TRUE outlining, because the auto-alphabetic sort drives me nuts! I have to use numbers or letters to make items line up, and that’s very awkward and time-consuming.

Manual sorting, OPML im/export, priorities and due dates will come in v1.8. But don’t expect DT to provide all features of OO for example - we can’t add all requested features because almost all users have different needs for their usage of DT and adding everything would create an awkward and bloated application.

That’s an excellent point and, IMHO, why many applications, such as those from Microsoft, often provide a poor user experience. Too much bloat.