how best to annotate with DTTG2?

i’ve just been working with DTTG2 (terrific upgrade, btw), and I’m trying to figure out how best to use it and annotate files. it seems that annotation works best when it involves pdf files, but it seems that DTTG2 doesn’t provide this option when clipping files. so, it seems best to first convert a file to pdf, save it to DTTG2, and then annotate it (either in DTTG2 or another annotation app).

does this seem right or or is there another approach that other users would suggest?

thanks.

That’s right.

DTTG annotation tools work only on PDFs.

Annotate while clipping? Wouldn’t that be a bit cumbersome?

thanks for all of this. appreciate it.

re: “annotate while clipping” - i’m taking about trying to first make a clipping, and then annotating. since DTTG2 is so good at annotating files, i’m a bit puzzled that it doesn’t offer a PDF format in the Format dropdown (as is the case of DTP).

so for now, it seems that iOS users have to first convert clippings in something like URL2PDF, then save it in DTTG2, and annotate in DTTG2.

For print to PDF in iOS 10 see

This is also useful for almost any issue.

Unfortunately for some apps, the print service is not available.

different annotation question: is it possible to underline text in DDTG2? i sometime underline and highlight.

thanks.

Press-hold on the text you want to highlight and/or underline and use the floating toolbar to select and annotate text. You’ll need to do this in two steps press-hold-select highlight then press-hold-select underline, or the other way around.

got it. thanks. you do this initial style annotation, and then you tap that annotation again to do the second annotation. that’s really helpful. feels like i’m finally making some progress piecing all of this together. still feel like i need to overcome some structural hurdles w/ DTP, but i’m getting there. thanks again.

btw, i think i saw how you were using liquidtext to annotate your stuff. looks like a neat app, but i’m wondering if you gave it up after DTTG2 came out. kinda curious about it, and i dig its features. but i dunno if its worth using if it’ll gum up my workflow w/ DTTG2 & DTP.

I mainly use MarginNote for annotations, which is a weird “mad-scientist” app with great features and syncs between iOS and OS X via iCloud, which is just fine for my purposes. I don’t use LiquidText much, because it is an interesting concept that was never much more than a concept.

woah. this looks awesome! thanks, man.

does that mean you just use this app, and bypass DTTG2, when doing annotation?

and how do you transfer your annotations from this app into DTP?

thanks again.

just downloaded marginnote, and trying to figure out how to use it. looks awesome.

quick question: what download format do you use so that your annotations & notes are compatible w/ DTP? it almost seems you could transfer those hashtags into DTP tags via markdown.

just starting to create a workflow between DTP and tinderbox. am wondering if marginnote-created files might impact that process one way or the other.

thanks, man.

I don’t use MarginNote with DEVONthink - I hope I didn’t imply that I did.

MarginNote with Tinderbox – you could export as OmniOutliner then from OmniOutliner as OPML – but that seems like a lot of work. Or you could copy from the MarginNote Outline and paste the copied notes into Tinderbox (as separate notes, one per outline node).

Or you could paste the copied notes to DEVONthink as an RTF file (one file containing all the copied nodes).

1 Like

you didn’t imply it. i inferred it. my bad.

just assumed you deposited your marginnote files into DTP afterwards, given how you’re so helpful on this forum - so it seems rely on DTP datavases.

guess that brings me back to the questions i asked before: i’m guessing you just bypass DTTG2 when doing annotation w/ marginnote, right? and do you even transfer your marginnote annotations to DTP?

ok. thanks. gotta think through this a bit more. here’s the workflow i’ve set up w/ DTP & tinderbox:

1. clip/save articles to pdf’s & annotate

2. transfer annotated files to DTP, and then…

3. tag notable annotations w/in DTP (you might’ve caught my dilemma about grouping project specific tags v. global tags - via Smart Groups)

4. use tinderbox to synthesize notes - based on info from annotations, tags, smart folders, etc.

5. port over relevant material to scrivner for long form writing assignments

i really dig marginnote’s annotation tools - they’ve got a lot of the stuff i use an am looking for. just got to figure out how to use it (export, copy - whatever) so works best with that workflow - or if i need to rethink that workflow.

thanks again, man.

hey, just wanted you to know that marginnote and DTP might be able to work together in the near future. fingers crossed.