How can I disable backslashing of certain characters in %clipboard% placeholders?

I have a template that uses the %clipboard% placeholder. If I copy text containing parentheses or curly brackets to the clipboard and then create a document using this template, the parens and brackets are escaped with backslaces. I.e., the text “this is (in parentheses) and {in curly braces}” turns into

this is \(in parentheses\) and \{in curly braces\}

How can I control this behavior, to avoid the backslashes?

I’ve tried setting the hidden preference RawMarkdownPasting,

> defaults read com.devon-technologies.think3 RawMarkdownPasting

but that doesn’t make a difference in this case.

@cgrunenberg would have to comment on this.

What kind of template do you actually use? Markdown?

Yes, Markdown (with a template file extension of .md).

It actually wouldn’t be much of a problem in some cases, since the rendered text doesn’t contain the backslashes, but it happens to be that I created a template for code snippets, and it has the form

```
%clipboard%
```

so that I can create code snippets easily from text in the clipboard. The resulting new document has backslashes in front of every paren/curly bracket/square bracket, which actually is a problem, for something that’s meant to be read literally. Currently I edit the text to remove them, but it would be helpful to have a way to avoid it altogether.

The next release will apply the hidden preference to clipboard placeholders in case of Markdown documents.

2 Likes