How do i set up DT to sync with dropbox

:+1:

encryption error came back while i was syncing a new DB. i verified the new DB and global inbox (the only two DBs that i have synced so far) and both were successful. Is this concerning?
edit: verification does not work anymore because of the encryption error

@BLUEFROG i am still getting the encryption errors every now and then but it also syncs every now and then. Have not seen the changes from my iphone in the last 16 hours (!). the visibility on the devices (ios, macosx) is really limited as to what is actually going on. where do i go from here?

btw, i followed your steps as you outlined above (only had icloud activated on iphone and imac) and waited until icloud didn’t list DT anymore in the storage.
reinstalling DTTG and now iphone is complaining about encryption keys and won’t sync.

Considering the master databases, i.e., the ones you want on other devices, are on the Mac, do this…

1. Delete DEVONthink To Go, reinstall it, but do not set up the sync location yet.
  2. On the Mac, go into System Preferences > iCloud and click the Manage button. Select DEVONthink To Go then click the Delete documents and data button.
    This preference doesn’t give a realtime view of the deletion process, so close and return to the Manage section occasionally to check the process. Once iCloud has removed the data from Apple’s server, the DEVONthink To Go entry will disappear.
  3. In DEVONthink’s Preferences > Sync, right-click the iCloud sync location and choose Clean Location. This will clear out any sync data. You can now add, modify, or remove an encryption key for the sync location, but it must be done before you sync a database. This key would have to be entered in the sync location on other devices syncing with this location.
    If you want to add/modify/remove the encryption key, you can now right-click the sync location and choose Show Info. Make the modification to the encryption key fields, the click outside the Info popup.
  4. Then hold the Option key, control-click the iCloud sync location and choose Verify Location Thoroughly. The results will be shown in Window > Log.
  5. After these things are done, check the checkboxes next to the databases, in the Databases pane on the right, to sync to the location again.
  6. After a successful sync on the Mac, set up the iCloud location in DTTG, using the same encryption key, if you specified one.
  7. Then touch the sync location and import the database(s).

DTSync is done locally, then iCloud uploads to Apple’s servers, then to devices using your Apple ID. This means databases may not be immediately available to sync on the other devices. The initial sync requires patience, as we have no control over the speed and reliability of iCloud’s process.

Also bear in mind, DTTG should be in the foreground and the mobile device awake for the initial sync. The Background App Refresh option is controlled entirely by iOS and only allows approximately a 30 second window, when it allows it to happen. This means we can’t control if, when, or how long it happens. Subsequent syncs are faster since there’s less data being transferred.​

Doesn’t work, now the iphone complains about the encryption key after i do 7 (i.e. it never syncs)

i made sure that DT was gone from icloud before i did anything.

the odd thing is that the ‘icloud upload’ file status on the mac took forever to go from 1 to 2 (out of 35) and then never went to 3. just stopped at 2 and went away

update: the iphone seems to have recovered for no particular reason after a few hours. now icloud is just completely unreliable and only seems to update once every few hours, making it useless for notetaking :confused:

now icloud is just completely unreliable

In our experience, it is generally less reliable than it used to be.

yup, i am just syncing the global inbox for now and my iphone is still waiting for an update (4pm atm) from yesterday’s mac change! and i had DTTG open for 2 hours today, to see if it would come in or not. it did not :confused:

It’s a mixed bag. Some people (including myself) have no issues with it; others have a lot of issues with iCloud and not just with DEVONthink. A person reported his new Apple Notes didn’t appear on his Mac for 8 days. :flushed: