How has DTTG Worked for You in Your Productivity?

Hi all, I am wondering how has it improved your productivity and workflow?

I am currently using DT3 in my mac and it is pretty much my library where i find my things. So far it is working good and I would like to hear and learn from you in organising things on the go. Would like to hear your experiences if you don’t mind sharing.

Currently, I am thinking DTTG to manage my paper pile of letters and invoices and I hope i can reduce physical clutter at my work station.

I don’t use it, I do use my iPhone for some stuff in the sense I use photos to make notes sometimes, it is quite common I understand. The photos end up very often, even if temporarily in a dedicated database in DEVONthink 3 on my Mac. I moved away from using my iPhone for productivity as it were because I touch type at high speed and it is just too too slow, and for what I do, Siri is useless. So even though I don’t even use DTTG DEVONthink 3 is my central app. I couldn’t manage without it frankly.

My usage is idiosyncratic, more so than most I think, though everybody has quirks :wink:

Likewise, I use DT3 on my Mac Mini desktop
and DTTG on my iPad for mobile use (“where I find things”)

DT3 and the Mac are full featured; DTTG and the iPad are supplemental

how has it improved your productivity and workflow?

DTTG and the iPad are my tool for scanning documents and photos

My daily planner note and task list are prepared on the Mac each morning,
but referenced throughout the day using DTTG
Tasks are marked active/completed using DTTG

I use the iPad for short notes throughout the day
I have an external keyboard and could take extended notes, but mostly I leave that for the Mac
The notes are stored in DTTG; sync’d with DT3

1 Like

All day, every day, all devices.

There are some things that I almost never do on DT.
And some that I only do on DT. A quick list…

Journalling

Entirely a phone or iPad task, all directly into DTTG with some shortcuts to assist. Synced to Mac but mostly for some tag cleanup and then backing up ZIPs to external drives and cloud.

Got a new gig therefore new database:

all docs, tech specs, manuals, employee equipment lists, resumes, schedules - All dumped into DT on Mac. Synced to phone/iPad. Referred to daily from all devices. Updated from any device.
This is turning the whole Devon system into a mission critical duo of apps.

Receipt and expense tracking

Scan or import receipts from phone via iOS Files App (recently) or QuickScan (holdover from older workflow) directly into DTTG. Cleaned up and add metadata in DT.

2 Likes

My journal notes are digital; stored/organized in Devonthink
These are included in my regular backups (Arq Premium); no special ZIPS

It is very useful to me but only when i am out and about away from Global Hq. I rely on DEVONthink Pro on an iMac and MacBook.

I sync only one database that being my “Works in Progress” named _Wip so it shows up first on list of databases. I do not try to sync any of the other databases, some big, “just in case” wanted. For that I take the MacBook out.

_Wip holds all the duplicate files that i want to read, copies already on the right db/group. This movement and labelling is automated. Also holds all files related the current projects, to read and work on, and scans of stuff i want for travel. I also take the occasional note but frankly all my note taking is really “ToDo’s” that go into Things. Big writing projects in Scrivener which also goes with me on the iOS devices, but DEVONthink holds some or all of the research files. I use a terrific Microsoft foldable keyboard with the iPhone which makes all typing on the iPhone much easier while on the go but settled somewhere.

1 Like

Hi there, thank you for responding. Can I check with you in terms of syncing do you use bonjour and in addition can i ask you set your mac as the server and your ipad/iphone as client?

Bonjour is, from experience and reported here (you can search and see for yourself) is the fastest and most reliable. I also have Dropbox setup for syncing, for no real reason other than to just have it running to prove it works.

I would think my usage is 50/50 at the moment, though I’ve not really thought about it. I do nearly all my academic reading in DTTG on an iPad, and I will also add notes and occasionally save files straight from iPad. When I’m on my Mac I’m usually either tidying up DT (that’s just a personal idiosyncrasy - I prefer to do my tagging and file moving on the desktop version), and retrieving things that I need for work. Since print to pdf is sometimes not right on iOS, I also keep a running list of URLs I need to visit when at my desktop to retrieve “proper pdfs”. (Print to pdf on iOS doesn’t retain hyperlinks for a mysterious reason - it works fine on MacOS. This doesn’t always matter.)

Hi there, thank you for your reply. Can I ask do you use liquidtext in your ipad when reading pdfs? I am wondering if liquid text is able to work within DTTG and save all the changes in there.

I don’t, sorry. I just use DTTG’s PDF powers. It’s very good! There’s lots on the forum about liquidtext if you want to search for it though.

3 Likes

Hi there can i ask is DTTG your client and DT3 your server? I suppose it works bi directionally. Although I have this fear that if I mess up things in DTTG then my main database in DT3 will be affected. Am I being too paranoid ?

Also, can i ask, i am using wondershare pdf element as a scanner for my documents. Can DTTG scan and store them the same?

I use both DTTG and DT3 client apps
with my data sync’d between all my devices

Not clear about “server”, but syncing is via Bonjour on my Mac Mini
I also use an iCloud sync datastore

I have this fear that if I mess up things in DTTG then my main database in DT3 will be affected. Am I being too paranoid ?

I can update (mess up) my data on any of my devices,
and yes, it gets sync’d to all devices
I would recover any damage by restoring from my data backups

I am using wondershare pdf element as a scanner for my documents

I use the files app on my iPad with the pdf directed to my DTTG Inbox database

Yes, sync is always bidirectional.

Also, can i ask, i am using wondershare pdf element as a scanner for my documents. Can DTTG scan and store them the same?

DEVONthink To Go can also take pictures (which is what these “scanning” apps are doing) and has OCR capabilities.

Thank you for your reply. May I ask, if i have 500GB of data in my DT3 and I synced with my iPad, would the icloud backup on my ipad store 500 GB of it in DTTG? I am assuming that iCloud backup would be sufficient for DTTG and all the files that is stored in it. Thank you in advanced for reading this.

You’re welcome!

if i have 500GB of data in my DT3 and I synced with my iPad, would the icloud backup on my ipad store 500 GB of it in DTTG?

Do you have DEVONthink To Go’s Settings > Backup data to iCloud enabled?

would the icloud backup on my ipad

Sync is not intended as a backup. Are you treating it as such?

Sorry for the confusion. What i meant was doing a bonjour sync from dt3 to dttg.

The second aspect is backing up my ipad in its entirety - inclusive of dttg installed in my ipad. Hence the question would be if i were to backup my ipad in icloud, would the transferred data from dt3 to dttg be savec in icloud ?

Yes, if backup to iCloud is enabled
I disabled the option; my DT data is backed up via my Mac