How to Capture Apple News Page

I use File > Open in Safari quite regularly. Even, just now and moments before I posted that reply. I’m up-to-date, software wise. I am also a News+ subscriber. But perhaps it is controlled by the publisher and your news sources disallow it.

2 Likes

News+ stories are blocked from opening in Safari. Unless the story is a freebie, i.e. not News+ it doesn’t work.

I use News all the time and have found the inflexibility of it quite frustrating. Fortunately I also use a screen capture program that will use a share sheet to send a searchable PDF to DEVONthink.
I’ve been using the program, SnagIt by TechSmith software, for much longer than I’ve had Apple News or DEVONthink, but might not consider it a worthwhile investment if the only thing I used it for was capturing Apple News pages. It has a scrolling/panorama feature that captures as you scroll, handy for collecting press clippings and screenshotting “how-to’s” for coworkers. I also find it useful for webpages that have weird copy protection scripts on them.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I will look into Snagit - the scroll feature sounds like the solution I’ve been looking for

Interesting. Thanks for sharing this :slight_smile:

(shrug) Open in Safari always works for me. Newspapers, magazines, etc. But if you’re looking for a free alternative to SnagIt’s scrolling capture, check out Shottr https://shottr.cc

3 Likes

Very nice util! I’m going to have to run this one around the track a few times :slight_smile:

Hi Schelling, I have also used Snagit scrolling capture to make images/pdfs of Apple News. However, I now use CleanShot https://cleanshot.com as I find it simpler to use. Also, for people looking into scrolling capture, it is cheaper than Snagit and has more features. Cheers, Daryl

2 Likes

+1 for CleanShot here too - great features.

Wow, thanks @schelling , @GordonMeyer , and @DarylAdair for the software recs! I have been dying for a scrolling screen capture for years and didn’t even have the ability to imagine it being out there… One of these will truly be a godsend for me.

CleanShot now has an updated version that makes scrolling even easier. It now has an auto option. Easy to now make a copy as an image and get DT to perform OCR.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware until recently that iOS offers native scrolling capture. When you take a screenshot of a webpage, selecting Full Page will capture the whole page as a multi-page PDF.

Detailed instructions e.g. on 9to5mac; that article is about the iPhone 14, but the function is part of iOS and iPadOS, and not limited to that model.

1 Like

Indeed. But, unless I am mistaken, this tactic won’t work on Apple News.

Yes that function is definitely not available for all screen grabs. I‘ve noticed its not available in the NY Times app and maybe even the website version in Safari.