How to create a new document, for some application, within the current Group?

Is there way to (much as there is a way to “create new plain text note” or “create new markdown note”) to “create a new Tinderbox doc” or “create a new Numbers sheet”, etc?

This isn’t a blocker by any means, I can always do the following:

1. open the corresponding application
  2. create a new doc
  3. save it
  4. import it into the group
  5. open it from the group

… but it would be nice to just create it within DevonThink right away.

Thanks!

P.S. filing this under Tips, could be Feedback if there isn’t a way to do this, since I know that both Curio and TheBrain have this feature.

Import your document and export it as template, should be File -> Export -> As Template.

You can then create a new record via Data > New from Template > My Template Document

From help:

Templates are stored in the ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/Templates.noindex folder. In order to manage your templates, rename them, organize them in subfolders, or delete them, you can quickly access this folder by selecting Data > New from Template > Open Templates Folders.

2 Likes

In case you use a Tinderbox file as template for new files in Tinderbox (e.g. via favorites in Tinderbox’s application support folder):

Instead of using a duplicate of an existing template in DEVONthink it’s possible to store an alias to your template in ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/Templates.noindex. This way you’ll always use the same template across apps.

2 Likes

That worked perfectly, thank you so much.

(You’ve just boosted my ease of use of DevonThink a lot!)