How to create a shortcut for a template:

I created a template. I followed the instructions about dragging the template on the toolbar given in a 2017 email (pasted below) but without success. Scrolling through the community posts I believe I add it as a shortcut, which would suit my purposes even better. But I don’t know how to do that. (If I could do both that would be even better.)

The other question: where is the ~library/support file to be found?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Add Templates to Your Toolbar

Do you find yourself using the same DEVONthink template over and over again? You may use our Project template often. Maybe it’s a custom Markdown document you’ve created. Or maybe it’s one of the templates for use with software like Bookends. Did you know you can add a template to the toolbar in DEVONthink? This is how…

1. Select Data > New > Open Templates Folder. You will see the Templates.noindex folder selected in the Finder.

2. Open this folder, hold the Command key and double-click the Toolbar folder to open it in a new window or tab.

3. Locate the template you’d like to add and move it to the Toolbar folder.

4. Quit DEVONthink and relaunch it.

5. Right-click the toolbar and choose Customize Toolbar…

6. Locate your template, drag it into the toolbar, and press Done.

What version of DEVONthink are you referring to?

1. That is out of date. The last version of the 2.x line is 2.11.3. You should quit DEVONthink, download a new version from here: Legacy, and overwrite the current version.
  2. In the Finder, select the ​Go ​menu while holding the ​Option key​, then choose ​Library​. Add the file to Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Templates.noindex/Toolbar. The relaunch DEVONthink and it should be available to add as a toolbar button.
  3. We suggest moving to DEVONthink 3. (I personally suggest the Pro edition.)

Ah! Thank you. I will purchase the DT 3 upgrade.

Just a heads up… there are plenty of different things going on in DEVONthink 3.

I’d suggest you download a manual and read up a bit, especially the Windows and In & Out chapters, to get a sense for some of the most user-facing changes in 3.

After you’ve read it, then definitely buy it! Hahaha! :wink:
Cheers!

1 Like

Hi, is there an update on how to add a template to the toolbar for DT3? I can’t seem to find it. Better yet, how to create any kind of shortcut to open a particular template (with Keyboard Maestro, Services, whatever).

thanks.

Just realized this method still works for adding a template to the toolbar in DT3. However, the icon is generic for all templates, so if you have more than one in the toolbar, it could get confusing. Any advice? Again, the best would be to find a way to create a keyboard shortcut.

You can create a shortcut in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts.

The App Shortcuts menu wants “the exact name of the menu command that you want to add,” which I’ve filled in as Data->New From Template->Toolbar->[name of my test template]. I think I’ve got a unique shortcut to activate it (I don’t believe it to be in conflict with other shortcuts using the same key combo) but attempting it in DT3 just emits a system error sound. I have some possible fixes to test but any guidance from anyone who has this working would be a boon.

Welcome @jeremypbushnell

May I ask why you’re using Shortcuts for this?
You could just set a shortcut in System Settings > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > App Shortcuts, e.g.,…

You should always verify the shortcut by looking at the related menu…

Even more quickly, you can use this great (and free) utility from our friend at Houdah Software…

That’s the approach that I’m using (not the Shortcuts app).

But the verification shows that something is amiss (maybe there is a key conflict after all?) because it isn’t showing up correctly in the related menu:

I’ll check this utility and report back–thanks for your speedy response. Much appreciated.

That’s the approach that I’m using (not the Shortcuts app).

:+1:t2:

You’re welcome!
What shortcut are you trying to use?

1 Like

You’ve got a capital “F” on “from” in the “New from Template” menu option. In DevonThink the “f” in “from” is lowercase. Keyboard shortcuts are super-fussy and the menu has to be identical. I haven’t noticed if it’s case sensitive but it probably is so I’d correct that and try again.

2 Likes

That was 100% the problem. Even aiming for a super-fussy transcription I still missed that lower-case “f.” It’s working great now, thanks.

1 Like

I followed this chain with interest but think i’m missing a simple step. I am trying to create a shortcut for a ,rtf template that I’ve created for note-taking. I’ve saved the template in the existing DT3 Education category and have followed the above steps with the following instructions: Data->New from Template->Education->Notes-Mark Musselman (i.e. the name of my .rtf template); and I’ve chosen “Shift/Command/=” for the shortcut key. When I am in DT3 and use the shortcut key combination I get a “nope” tone from my MacBook. I must not understand the steps? Thanks for any suggestions.

Where are you choosing this?

I have chosen this in the System Settings/Keyboard/Keyboard Shortcuts/App Shortcuts.

any thoughts?

Is the shortcut actually shown in the Data > New from Template > Education menu? Otherwise the shortcut might be already in use or doesn’t work, e.g. due to a typo in the system settings.