How to delete indexed files in DT _without_ losing them in the Finder structure?

Hi all,
I have indexed an important folder from my Finder structure and now want to “unindex” it in DTP - meaning deleting the indexed files in DTP but not in Finder. What do I need to do?
I don’t get the popup message that offers me to decide, DTP deletes the index and the original file right away.
I have read the documentation but missing a hint how to delete my indexed files in DTP. Have I missed this passage?
Thanks for your help,
CID

Deleting the enclosing indexed group and then emptying the trash should prompt you what should be deleted (assuming you didn’t disable this alert in the past, this can be reset in Preferences > General).

Thank you, the required message does not appear and I don’t remember that I have deactivated anything in the Preferences so far. When I do a test run with a doc, DTP only prompts the regular message.

DTP Delete

“Deleting the enclosing indexed group” is the important part of the answer; the behaviour is different when you delete individual files.

This is discussed in the Help > Documentation > In & Out > Importing & Indexing > Indexing and the filesystem section.

Thank you.
I think it would be helpful if DTP always asks if both files (indexed and original one) or just one of them should be deleted. That would minimise misunderstandings and data losses.
Alternatively, it can also be an option in the preferences? What do you think?

Thanks again to all for clarifying.

1 Like

No promises but the suggestion is noted.