How to highlight word to turn into tag?

I heard that DEVONThink allows you to select a word after a document has been scanned and imported, as if you’re highlighting it, and that then DT automatically turns that word into a tag.

Does anyone know how to do this?

It’s not an automatic process, but you can select or double-click on the word and a) drag it into the tag bar or b) right-click and select ‘Add Tag <>’.

Wow, great. That sounds pretty easy. Now I just have to figure out how to get the whole OCR thing working, right?

Wow! I didn’t know that you could drag and drop a pdf from somewhere right into a DT open database, and that it would OCR it immediately! Incredible. And this highlighting words and dragging them to the bar to make them into tags works with this. Incredible.

:frowning: I’ve never seen that behavior. I know DTPO converts scanned images automatically through OCR if yo check the preference, but I’ve never found the drag and drop does that. Am I missing something?

If the PDF was created by print-to-PDF or some other text-to-pdf method then its type when dragged into DTPO (or imported or indexed) is PDF+Text. Otherwise, scanned images have to go through OCR to render text.

(OT: I use print-to-PDF a lot with MS Office and iWork because it renders a more useful document for my purposes than the standard quicklook that DTPO uses by default.)