How To Merge Two Databases?

I have two databases. Most of the groups therein have the same names. I want to merge them. As a result I want to achieve an only one database wherein nothing is duplicated but all data have being merged. How can I get it?

How many groups actually? In case of not too many groups you could move all of them to the desired database, sort the groups by name, then select a pair of groups and use Tools > Merge etc.

I want to revive this topic as I had copied my databases to an external drive.
By mistake I have started the two databases from two three times from the external drive and the other times from my internal drive. After I found out my mistake I thought your approach from Feb 2021 could help. I renamed the DB on my Mac. I also renamed the first group on my Mac. As a test I then grabbed the first group from the external drive and moved it to the internal DB. But for whatever reason it vanished from the DB from the external drive and never arrived on the DB on the internal drive. What could have gone wrong? How can I fix it?

It’s unclear what you moved - a folder from the external drive or an indexed group from the first database? Did you search in the destination database for the group/folder? Maybe you didn’t drop it to the intended location.

As you had described I tried to move the first group of the DB which was stored on my external drive and dropped it into the renamed database, which is on my internal drive. I searched vor the name of the group without any hits. I don’t have any indexed groups.
But I will try it once more.
If that does not work my next step would be to use my time machine backup which unfortunately does not include the external drive.

my time machine backup which unfortunately does not include the external drive.

We hope you correct this and make sure you’re backing up any actively used external drives as well.

I hope this too :wink:
You know:
To avoid mistakes by thinking in advance is intelligent.
To learn from the mistakes of others is clever.
But to learn from your own mistakes provides the most sustainable result.

I have included the respective drive now;-)

1 Like