How to remove an indexed folder

I’ve searched help and the forums. I haven’t found the answer and I’m puzzled.

I have an indexed folder. I would like to remove it from the database. I understand the tight connection between DT3 and the Finder. I know that if I delete the indexed folder, it will be deleted from the Finder also.

But I want to leave the folder in the Finder. So I’m looking for an “un-index” function, or options for what happens when I move the indexed folder to DT3’s trash or empty the trash. Jim wrote in response to someone else’s inquiry that there is no way to un-index. And my trial-and-error testing today has not revealed any options provided up on moving to trash or emptying trash.

But there must be some way to undo the indexing, remove an indexed folder, and leave the folder in the Finder. Right?

Or I will have to make a copy of the folder in Finder, delete the indexed folder, which will delete the original folder in the Finder, and then move my copy where the original was?

What am I missing?

Thanks for any help.

1 Like

Are you trying to delete a subfolder of an indexed folder or the indexed folder itself? If it’s the indexed group itself, you should see this…

I do see it now. I think that the reason I did not see it before was that I was trying to remove a replicant of a sub-folder of the indexed parent folder. I had put the replicant into a DT3 group (not indexed). So the relationship of the sub-folder to the indexed parent folder was not obvious to me. Apparently, DT3 knew that it was a sub-folder of an indexed parent folder even though I did not.

Removing the indexed parent folder, which I wanted to do in any case, worked as expected. I received the options in your screen grab.

Many thanks for the quick response, Jim.

You’re very welcome :slight_smile:

I am not getting this option. I merely get
Untitled.pdf (315.6 KB)
Can you help

Deleting indexed items located in indexed groups doesn’t offer this option, only deleting top-level indexed items does.

Adding to what Criss mentioned, this is covered in the Help > Documentation > In & Out > Importing & Indexing > Indexing and the filesystem subsection.

I have an issue I’ve run into before — an iCloud Drive folder seems to be getting indexed within a specific DEVONthink Pro database, but I can’t find it.

It’s slowing down sync — because my iCloud folder has a lot of data — and it concerns me that I can’t delete this indexed copy.

There must be a way within DEVONthink Pro 3 to find all Indexed folders…?

Search kind:group item:indexed.

1 Like

That’s more than direct enough for me! thanks!

Please see my edit

1 Like

Think I’ve got it — “iCloud Drive” was in the Trash of one of my databases. I emptied the Trash (in Database only), and that should take care of it.

I think I did this before, too, though; must keep an eye on this. :slight_smile: