How to speed up searches on DEVONthink 3.5.1

I understand there are two search functions on DEVONthink: 1) the universal or global search which can live on the toolbar and that searches files across a single or multiple databases; and 2) the search that lives in the inspector pane which searches within an individual document.

My question: How do I speed up the search for #2 (i.e., searching within a document). Compared to #1 (the cross-database global search), pulling research results from #2 is significantly slower – Why is that? And is there a way to speed it up?

My hardware specs are: 16GB Ram, 2.7 GHz Processor in a MacBook Pro 2018. If it helps, my databases are all indexed. Does indexing versus importing make a difference in terms of search?

Thank you.

No, there is no way to speed up in-document searching.

Database-wide searching is querying the indices for the database, allowing for quicker results to be delivered.
In-document searching queries the selected document’s text, providing results to the Search inspector. @cgrunenberg can comment if he wishes but with PDFs - which would be longer documents than others - this search involves the PDFKit framework.

Indexing has no effect on the speed of document searches.

1 Like

I ran into this kind of issue with a three volume scanned report, the second volume being the largest at 800 pages.

The solution for me was to run an automator script to break up volume 2 into individual pages, moving those pages into a series of folders based on chapters or sections, and then using the context menu in the Finder to group those pages back into single PDF files.

It was a bit tedious, but I ended up with about 30 documents of around 20-40 pages each.

Not only does the indexed search now locate the relevant section more quickly (instead of always making the entire 800 page volume 2 the top search result - no help at all), when I select the section PDF, the side bar search has much less to deal with and is quicker to preview the hits in that section.

1 Like

PDFSearch plays well with “Open With” from Decos and in doing so can be used to search either one file from DT3 or several files.

It is extremely fast.

https://pdfsearch.app/