I don't own DDTG, yet it uploaded 41.3 GB into iCloud, breaking it

DTTG (or something) is filling my iCloud Drive to 49.6 GB. I have 50 GB total. So it goes until I get an alert and have to shut it off. I then follow the 3 stops of BLUEFROG above. The DTTG part then drops back to 0, and then builds back up to maxing out. As you can see in the Get Info window above, the total Databases size is 6.297 GB.

In DEVONthink for Mac, do you have syncing via iCloud set up in Preferences > Sync?

I did for the last year or so, without problem. Then 3 days ago, my iCloud Drive broke—by being filled all the way to 50 GB. After the BLUEFROG method failed, I unchecked the my databases in Databases, unchecked Locations > iCloud, and finally did a Remove Location. Then restarted syncing but the infinite refilling happened again. Then I cleaned and removed all, so that Locations > iCloud is now greyed-out again.

Did you try to clean the sync store before removing it? Otherwise local iCloud data might be still available on your Mac and gets uploaded to iCloud by macOS.

Yes. Twice. Multiple cleanings, as the deletion process took some time.

I am ready to delete other files. System and ~/Library files? What do I do?

Please enter this in the Terminal.app:

cd ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs
ls -la

Could you please post a screenshot of the output?

Here:

drwxr-xr-x   7 jheller  staff    224 Apr 19 04:36 ./
drwxr-xr-x@ 64 jheller  staff   2048 May 23 02:44 ../
-rw-r--r--@  1 jheller  staff  10244 May 25 20:21 .DS_Store
drwxr-xr-x   2 jheller  staff     64 Apr 25 00:01 .Trash/
drwxr-xr-x@  5 jheller  staff    160 Mar 31 15:16 Downloads/
drwxr-xr-x   8 jheller  staff    256 Jun 28  2019 Kant PDFs/
drwxr-xr-x   4 jheller  staff    128 Jun 28  2019 iPhone INBOX/

Definitely no DEVONthink-specific data on this machine that should be uploaded. Do you use additional Macs?

The Mini has DT2 copied on there, never launched until now. I just now launched it to look at Sys Prefs > Sync. Nothing. No Location has been clicked. And there are no databases on the drive.

What’s the result of the same Terminal commands on this machine?

-bash: cd: /Users/jheller/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs: No such file or directory

If these are the only Macs using this iCloud account, then the data is definitely not from DEVONthink on the Mac. Maybe it’s an issue of iCloud or some kind of orphaned data? iCloud is unfortunately not that reliable, especially on Catalina. Or is DEVONthink To Go used with this iCloud account on any device?

Hello. I’ve never had DTTG installed on any device. Only DT3 on my MBP. Could this be an indexing problem? I had my main DB “New” index a folder on an external hard drive that contained a whole bunch of screenflow documents. Stuff that is very large, but nothing that Kevin think recognizes. Thinking that there might be a connection, I removed the indexed folder. Could it be that something of this largeness triggered something and now DTP is using that DTTG widget in SP > iCloud to upload the ghosts of these large screenflow files?

Only iCloud sync stores use iCloud but in that case the Terminal commands would have shown a “DEVONthink” folder in ~/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs but there’s none. Did you try to remove the unnecessary iCloud data from all devices/computers?

At the risk of being very naive, is it possible that something stuck in the Trash could be uploaded repeatedly? (Either computer Trash or database Trash.)

What is unnecessary iCloud data? Shall I try the equivalent of deleting ALL the iCloud stuff on my old laptop that I use as a pdf reader? And what would that mean WRT my iPhone? What to delete there?

I’ll do that now. Thanks.

Also, I see the (unknown) stuff uploading from my MBP when I turn DTP > Prefs > Sync on. The mass is coming from my MBP. Do you think it might be sucked out (and up) by something on another device?

You could try using Cirrus to see what is going on in iCloud: https://eclecticlight.co/2020/01/21/testing-icloud-using-cirrus/

Sorry if I say a stupid thing, but do you have indexed items and this thing enabled in your sync database?:

If yes, you are uploading the database and the indexed files.

(Capture is from macOS Devonthink -> Preferences -> Sync)

1 Like