iCloud Sync error (CloudKit)

Hi,

I try to setup up sync to iCloud with an almost clean database (100kb with 6 Textfiles) - max sync connections set to 3.
The sync takes very long and throws the errors
" Eingang … Leere Datei übersprungen."
“Request failed with http status code 503 CKErrorDomain 6”

I know this error has been discussed earlier in a very long DTTG thread. I didn’t find a solution there and I don’t know if this would be adoptable to DT anyway.

1 Like

We are investigating this. However, we cannot reproduce the issue at will.

• Do you have a firewall or an app like Little Snitch running?
    • If so, have you put exceptions in place for DEVONthink’s traffic, potentially including cloudd?

I am just running a standard router without extra firewall.
For testing I deactivated my pihole and the integrated firewall from macOS without success.

The last sync is stated as being successful last night at 1am when I wasn’t even at my computer. So sometimes it seems to work.
Please tell me if I can provide additional helpful information

I am having the same type of problem. My last successful sync was on 11/26/21. Interesting that @Andreas76 reported this issue around the same time.

The sync hangs for long periods of time. I then receive the error message “Request failed with http status code 503,” and “CKErrorDomain 6” in the info panel. I am also using iCloud (CloudKit).

I have read through and tested the various fixes mentioned in the long thread referenced by @Andreas76.

None of these fixes worked. I don’t think the issue is with a rate-limit on my uploads anyway. My databases are still relatively small (<1 GB), and they were fully synced and working successfully for several weeks before this issue appeared.

To simplify troubleshooting, I have turned off sync for all databases except for the Global Inbox. I have verified, repaired, cleaned, restarted, rebooted, etc. Each individual step reports as successful, but the sync continues to fail and show the 503 error.

I am also running DTTG on my iPhone. This may be relevant, as the items I have added to my Global Inbox for DTTG have also not synced since around the same date. But I really have no idea whether the problem originated on DT3 or DTTG.

I am not aware of anything unusual about any of my recent files; i.e. none are particularly large or added via a method different from anything I have successfully done in the past.

Computer info:
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021; M1 Pro)
macOS Monterey v12.0.1
DT v3.8

Phone info:
iPhone 13 mini
iOS v 15.1.1
DTTG v3.2.4 (17157)

Any help you are able to provide would be greatly appreciated!

try another third party file sync service, e.g. Dropbox or other, or use Bonjour which requires no third party. Apple’s services proving to be unreliable, it appears.

@rmschne Thanks for the suggestion! I just set up my Global Inbox to sync with Dropbox and it is working! DT3 and DTTG are talking to each other again, and there are no more error messages.

I had been avoiding Dropbox simply to keep down the number of third-party services that I am tied to. But, this is definitely a clear demonstration that iCloud was at the root of the sync problem.

1 Like

Great. FYI, Bonjour (across your local network) is usually faster and more reliable than anything, so might be useful to you too. Can do it in addition to Dropbox (which is useful for when you out and about).

Thanks, @rmschne. I will look into this! Previously, I had somehow gotten the impression that Dropbox vs. Bonjour was an either/or situation. It would be great to have both the speed/reliability of Bonjour along with the mobility of Dropbox.

1 Like

And note: While the 503 is a Service Unavailable error from the remote server not a sync error specifically, we are still investigating to see if there’s something we can do or even if it’s the correct error being reported. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Thank you, @BLUEFROG. I appreciate you all looking into this.

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same problem here since 5 days: “Request failed with http status code 503 CKErrorDomain 6” – worked for months without any issue before (database 3 GB). Switching to Bonjour until solved.

Please…

1. In DEVONthink’s Help menu, select DEVONthink 3 Help > Documentation > Appendix > Hidden Preferences.
  2. If you’re on macOS Catalina or earlier, click the On link for SyncDebugLog.
    If you’re on macOS Monterey, ​Control-click​ the ​On ​link for ​SyncDebugLog​. Paste the URL into Safari’s address bar and okay opening DEVONthink.
  3. Quit and relaunch DEVONthink.
  4. Manually initiate a sync of a database.
  5. Add a file to the database, select the database in the Navigate sidebar, and manually sync via File > Synchronize.
  6. In DEVONthink, hold the Option key and select Help > Report Bug.

Thanks.

Thank you. Done & sent.

I am having the same problem; it seems to have started a couple of weeks ago. I get an error about a missing manifest file when I try to sync using CloudKit:

12/10/21, 4:17:09 PM: iCloud (CloudKit)	File "660808343.836-080aa086f6f16f36427dae2913d3b6aa2f97d774-3627876937.manifest" missing of database "Inbox".

and many other similar messages.

I have switched to Bonjour for now, but of course that doesn’t work when I leave the house.

Is there anything I can do to help debug the problem?

Perhaps try another third party sync service? Or talk with Apple about debugging their CloudKit service? I’ve seen some recent discussion on this topic at Mac Power Users forum.

1 Like

I tried the procedure to do a fresh start on CloudKit, found here, but I kept seeing 503 errors on the Mac when I tried to sync my first database, and when I tried to sync on the iPad, it didn’t see the database at all.

So I went back to Dropbox. It works.

1 Like

I have the same problems with iCloud:

a) Request failed with http status code 503 CKErrorDomain 6
b) … 937.manifest" missing of database “Inbox”

Is there any solution / work around available in the meantime?

See Sudden loss of ability to sync - #12 by cgrunenberg

@Skylax I experience the same problem, did you find a solution yet?