iCloud Sync Invalid

I keep getting an iCloud Kit invalid encryption key message when trying to sync, and don’t know how to troubleshoot the cause. I’ve synced my desktop to my iPad finally, but my phone keeps telling me the key is incorrect when syncing with the desktop database. I’m using the same exact database name and key on all 3 devices. I’ve cleared the database on the desktop, deleted, and re-made the database on the phone and still get the invalid key message.
Don’t know what to try now.

what do you mean “cleared”? you mean Cleaned?

Try it one more time. Do a thorough cleaned.
But first make sure the desktop and iPad are fully synced then disable sync on the iPad and desktop.

Do not use the same encryption key. when asked, make a new one.

1. Delete DEVONthink To Go, reinstall it,(iPhone/iPad) but do not set up the sync location yet.
  2. In DEVONthink’s Preferences > Sync , right-click the CloudKit sync location and choose Clean Location . This will clear out any sync data. You can now add, modify, or remove an encryption key for the sync location, but it must be done before you sync a database. This key would have to be entered in the sync location on other devices syncing with this location.
    If you want to add/modify/remove the encryption key, you can now right-click the sync location and choose Show Info . Make the modification to the encryption key fields, the click outside the Info popup. However, DO NOT SYNC YET. 3. On the Mac, go into System Preferences > iCloud and click theManage button. Select DEVONthink To Go then click the Delete documents and data button.
    This preference doesn’t give a realtime view of the deletion process, so close and return to the Manage section occasionally to check the process. Once iCloud has removed the data from Apple’s server, the DEVONthink To Go entry will disappear.
  3. After these things are done, check the checkbox next to a database in the Databases pane on the right to sync to the location again.
  4. After a successful sync on the Mac, set up the CloudKit location in DEVONthink To Go, using the same encryption key, if you specified one.
  5. Then touch the sync location and import the database.
  6. If all is well after step 7, repeat syncing and import, one database at a time, as needed.
  7. Do the same thing with your iPad as you did ^ with your phone or iPad,whichever you did first

Yes, sorry. I meant cleaned.

I will try all this and see what happens.

Thanks a lot.

Also review the “Sync Issues” section in the “Troubleshooting” chapter of the oustanding “DEVONthink Manual”. Or same content in “Help”.

Why going through that instead of simply deleting the current sync settings?

This would be used in more extreme troubleshooting.

How did you enter the encryption key in the sync setup - 1Password, manually typing, …?

I went into DT on the desktop and the two mobile instances I’m using of DTGo and cleaned all the sync settings. I then went back and created them all again. That seemed to do the trick this time. I thought I had done that initially, but must have missed something or did it out of order. All syncing now.

Glad to hear it. :slight_smile: