I'm seeing "Request failed with http status code 503" CKErrorDomain 6

Cloudkit

And nothing’s logged to Windows > Log? Is there any network activity according to Activity Monitor.app?

Nope and nope.Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 12.07.55 PM

Hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket.

After waiting until today I closed out DT3 again as I woke up with it sitting there. It did take two attempts to close it. Restarting it today it finished the sync. I sent another set of logs and a reference to the first ticket. Hopefully you guys can nail down why it seems to just get “lost”. Good Luck!

I had the same issue, but this was on my trying to sync a large 46GB DB. Spent a bit of time nursing it through the sync over the course of an afternoon, and all been fine since then.

Have about 60-odd GBs in total across all my synced DB files, and barring some 12 “ghost” files, that were not critical, I’m really enjoying the new iCloud sync.

1 Like

I am seeing similar errors but I am not sure if it is affecting my workflow. My databases have uploaded completely and a successful sync happened 30 minutes after this: Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 9.42.50 AM|690x381

Hello All,

I’m seeing this error for the last 2 days and it is associated with no synching occurring at all.

Usage Scenario: A iMac and a MacBook each using DT3, iPhone and iPad using DTTG 3. All successfully synching up to 2 days ago using Cloudkit. Main database is my paperless office document database (7.1gig, 6000+ documents) but I have other tiny databases too.

Situation Now: Both Macs kicking up ‘Request failed with http status code 503 : CKErrordomain 6’ every 2 minutes and not synching.
This occurs even if I turn off all syncing except for one of the tiny databases.
I have plenty of iCloud space.
I have turned off DT3 on the laptop and DTTG3 on the iOS devices.
All databases verified and repaired.
I’m getting through to the sync locations because I can right click on a database in preferences>sync and ‘verify quickly’. (Log shows ‘iCloud (CloudKit) : Database "Documents’ successfully verified)
If I ‘verify quickly’ on the whole Cloudkit sync location I get no activity in the activity and no log message either positive or negative.

Having read the whole thread I think I have tried everything suggested. A “throttling issue” seems implausible as this all applies if I’m only trying to sync a database of 5 small markdown documents.

Should I start a ticket?

Regards,

Simon.

Have you rebooted the machine and the issue persisted?

Hi Bluefrog,

Yes, I have, and it has.

Simon.

Yes, please hold the Option key and select Help > Report Bug. Thanks.

I’m also getting this issue suddenly with both iPhone and iPad. My pattern of usage hasn’t changed and I noticed that nothing had synced since the 26th Feb (but I hadn’t changed much since then). I only noticed today when I tried to sync a document between devices via cloudkit.

As an experiment I’ve disabled all syncing for everything except a brand new empty DB which I’m trying to sync via cloudkit, even with just that I get a 503/CKErrorDomain 6. I’m also only using 1/5 of my storage allocation, so it isn’t that.

I’m wondering if there’s some new apple service issue but nothing is reported here:
https://www.apple.com/uk/support/systemstatus/

It’s been misbehaving for at least 5 hrs now, and failing to even sync an empty database.

I’m assuming there’s some sort of unreported service outage that affects whatever API DTTG uses.

For the time being I have disabled icloud/cloudkit and enabled icloud/legacy which seems fine at the moment.

Aaaaand - it’s OK again without any actions from me. I think I’m going to leave CloudKit and legacy flavours both running for a while in case this happens again…

Thanks. I have done so. However, the situation has changed. Sync is now spontaneously happening, but I’m not sure it’s actually working correctly, and a different strain of error is now cropping up.

e.g.18:40:43: iCloud (CloudKit) File “636315865.739-acf0be6ebdb1d006e7f503da4fed231c6f404ca5-2840182983.manifest” missing of database “Inbox”.

I have seen these previously, but didn’t notice a problem with the application and syncing ‘seemed’ to be fine. But they are appearing on the 2 syncing Macs, and my iPhone (haven’t been able to check the iPad yet).

Does this illuminate an underlying problem?

I’ve also found CloudKit troublesome, for me it was manifest errors even after I’d cleaned sync locations and restored databases from backup. I switched back to Legacy cloud and all is working fine as it was before, same databases. I’ve left a test database in CloudKit to see how it goes but for now my normal sync will be Legacy.

I’m also getting these manifest errors from CloudKit now it’s “working” again. The only fix seems to be to “clean” (delete) the DB in the CloudKit location. I’m not too worried about this since I’m using bonjour and iCloud(legacy) to sync as well so the data is in several places.

But my brief experience of legacy vs CloudKit syncing doesn’t encourage me to use CloudKit, but we do have plenty of choices here.

Ignore this for the moment if things are syncing as expected. The next maintenance release will have some garbage collection modifications that will likely quiet down these messages.

2 Likes

And @brianparker

As I just mentioned, if you’re seeing manifest errors but it’s syncing okay, you can ignore it fir now.

2 Likes

iCloud sync randomly stopped working for me yesterday (503) and I saw there was a new version of DTTG.

So this morning thought I’d give it a clean start:

• Deleted DTTG from my phone
  • Installed new version
  • Synced data from iPad with Bonjour - perfect
  • Enabled legacy iCloud sync - perfect
  • Enabled CloudKit sync for 1 empty DB - spinning and eventually CKErrorDomain 6 (as on my iPad)

Apples services are reportedly up and healthy and other apps appear to be syncing via CloudKit (although with far less data).

Given that clearly other people are having a different experience I wonder if Apple blacklist specific apps on specific accounts if a usage threshold is reached, although I don’t know why I’m “special” (fast internet?).

I’m at a loss to explain it to be honest, but I do have 2 other working sync mechanisms so it’s more of an academic puzzle at the moment.