Image size variation

I don’t quite understand this:

In a formatted note, I drag in an image. It’s 1024x682 at 330dpi. See first screenshot.
Next, I drag the same image into the info column to create a photo record. The image, at actual size, appears much smaller, than anywhere else, whether it’s the formatted note, the website it came from, or in Photoshop.

What’s the file format of the original image?

jpg

Which version of DEVONthink and of macOS do you use?

Everything is the latest version. Using a Mac Mini M1.

Formatted notes don’t use the DPI information for embedded images whereas the default display of images in the database seems to be Actual Size on your machine and this mode uses the DPI information.

1 Like

Okay, I see what’s going on. As you noted, in a formatted note, the ppi don’t affect how the image displays, which makes sense. But when creating a specific photo record, the image displays according to the ppi (relative to the pixel dimensions). So at 300 ppi, the image will look smaller and at 600, even smaller…as compared to the image in a formatted note. The solution for presentation purposes would be to change the ppi to 72 dpi. Thanks.

Or change the default zoom in Preferences > Media to Pixel Size.

1 Like

I see–good option–a jpg record now displays at the same size as an image in a formatted note. So this setting basically tells DT to ignore ppi and instead look at pixel dimensions?

Yes, only the pixel size matters in this case.

1 Like