Import email mailbox without putting individual items in groups

So I’ve got a pile of emails I want to import to DT and I’ve run a few pilots to see how things work out in practice. It’s not clear to me why the import for “Add Mailboxes & Attachments” places every individual email item inside a group. The downside of this is that it wrecks the folder hierarchy I have set up with emails which is now quite cluttered and nearly impossible to navigate given all the items within those folders that now sit alongside a pile of single items in groups. Is there some way to disable this behaviour? I can see how the import for “Add Messages…” doesn’t have this behaviour, but I’ve got quite a lot of folders and don’t have an easy way to replicate the hierarchy with that method…

I use the applescript to import emails
The code is easily customized to not create groups

that’s good news. I guess I need to look under the hood! Do you have any sample scripts with working modifications?

It is noted in the Automation > Application Scripts section of the built-in Help and manual, attachments are imported separately. Logically they wouldn’t be intermixed with emails containing no attachments so they’re put into groups.

If you want to preserve the structure in Apple Mail, why don’t you use the Archive Mailbox function in the Emails section of DEVONthink’s View > Import sidebar?

Thanks - that makes perfect sense!

1 Like

Glad to hear it and you’re welcome :slight_smile: