'Import, OCR & Delete' Folder Action - Automatic OCR doesn't work

I have set up an Inbox-OCR folder. and I’d like to screen capture images into this folder to be

1. imported in DT3
  2. OCRed into RTF doc
  3. the original file to be deleted from the folder.

To achieve this I’ve attached the ‘DEVONTHINK - import, OCR & Delete.scpt’ folder action to the folder.

So after setting up like this, when I screen capture images into this folder,

1. it successfully imports the image into DT3
  2. It deletes the image after the import.
  3. but the OCR part doesn’t work. the image just sits in the Global Inbox.

So I did some research and tried toggling my prefs and restarting DT3 suggested on ‘DT3 No more automatic OCR on ScanSnap scans’ page but still, it doesn’t work.

Simply, the auto OCR part is not working. And any help or info would be very much appreciated. Thank you so much.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
Mojave 10.14.6
DEVONthin 3.0.3

Do you still have DEVONthink 2 on your computer?

And what is that Inbox-OCR folder in the screenshot?

1 Like

Hello Michael,
I’ve never had DT2, I’ve recently purchased DT3.
Inbox-OCR is something I made myself. (copied the icon as well) I just created it to put incoming auto OCR docs exclusively nothing else. Leaving the main Inbox folder uncontaminated with Folder scripts.

I would try to move that Inbox-OCR folder to ~/documents. I think it might not work with folder actions in ~/library

1 Like

@MichaelHD Thanks for your help. I just created a new inbox-OCR folder in ~/Documents and it seems like the same thing happens.

1. imports to DT: fine :heavy_check_mark:
  2. deletes the file after importing: fine :heavy_check_mark:
  3. no OCR. the jpg png image just sits in Global inbox.

Is OCR directly in DEVONthink working (Converting an image with or PDF without readable text into an OCRed PDF)?

How did you create that Inbox-OCR folder? By Copying the Inbox folder in ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/…?

1 Like

Yes. Manually converting OCR works fine. To searchable PDF, RTF, Web archive and Word doc No issues, if I do it manually.

Inbox-OCR folder in ~/Documents is created from scratch.
Inbox-OCR folder in ~/Library is created from scratch. And icon copied.

And folder action is applied from the menubar because there is no right click folder action setup entry under services

Inbox-OCR folder in ~/Library is created from scratch.

What is this?

macOS 10.15 Catalina is obnoxious in its demands for permitting behaviors.

• Have you enabled Full Disk Access for DEVONthink 3 in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy?
  • Have you accepted and FolderActionsDispatcher or DTOCRHelper disk access or Automation requests?

I recorded nine steps in initially setting up Folder Actions on a folder.

Sorry I shouldn’t have created that OCR folder. I thought I was going to use that folder exclusively for OCR Folder actions, since I don’t want to OCR everything that comes in via main Inbox folder.
Like @MichaelHD suggested, I just created a folder in Documents folder to avoid complications.

Not to worry now I deleted this Inbox-OCR folder.

Yes, DEVONthink3 has Full Disk Access.
And Yes don’t recall exactly what it was but I accepted all the popups.

And I am using Mojave.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
Mojave 10.14.6
DEVONthin 3.0.3

So long story short, after setting up a DEVONthink - import, OCR & Delete folder action,

1. Automatic import into DT3 works fine.
  2. After import, the file gets deleted. Great.
  3. But the ingested image file just sits in the global inbox, without getting converted to OCRed doc.

Hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket. Thanks!

2 Likes

Were you able to come up with a solution? I’m having the same problem.

Hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket and provide information, including any screen captures that may be helpful. Thanks!

Done. Thanks.