Import OmniOutliner as Single File

Hello,
Currently if I drag an OmniOutliner file to Devonthink it will create the hierarchy of folders from the document. From reading the forum this sounds like the program is working as designed. Is there anyway I can put an OmniOutliner file into the Devonthink database and keep it as a single file, and not create a hierarchy? Thanks.

erik

What version/edition of DEVONthink are you using? The Pro and Pro Office versions fully support OmniOutliner OPML documents-I believe DT Personal does not. The Pro (Office) support is really good-I even have OOP templates in the ‘Data> New From Template’ menu where I can create new OOP files directly in DTPO.

I am using Devonthink Professional Office 2.0.1. I have used scripts that will create OmniOutliner files in Devonthink, but this is when I drag or import all ready created ones. I am sure it is something small and stupid on my part.

Which version of OmniOutliner do you use? And is it an .opml file?

That is all you needed to say. I figured it out, and knew it would be something simple. The files i was trying to import were OPML, not oo3 files. Saved it as a oo3 file and imported perfectly. So yeah, I would call this a user density error. Thanks for the help.

erik

How do I import my OmniOutliner outline and create folders that mirror the outline hierarchy?

Export from OO as OPML then import the OPML. It will make a folder hierarchy.

thanks!

Hopefully there is a simple fix for this. Folder generation from the OPML is partial, and even seems unpredictable. Are there rules about how the outline must be structured, e.g., how many levels or how many items in each level?

Thanks.

Joe Roberson
OmniOutliner
DTPO

“partial”, “unpredictable” in what respects? Could you give us an example – what you expected vs. what you got?

Thanks for your response.
I am not sure what was going on, but I decided to back up and start over. So, I opened a new, simple “Classic with Level Styles” outline to test, which worked fine. Next, I added my desired items and levels top create folders.

One trick I figured out is that, in order to end up with a folder in DT rather than simply a text file, I had to <Return/Tab/type one letter>. That one letter (e.g., q) results in a text file inside of the parent folder.

Solved.