Importing data from theBrain into DT

If the program exports JSON, you could write a JavaScript script to import it (the JSON data) into DT. DT can execute such scripts (although not in smart rules).

To be honest I haven’t had (taken?) the time to write a Javascript import procedure. I’m not too experienced in Script so it would take me too long. I am therefore currently still keeping TheBrain on my computer, just to access my data.
Regarding the Folders export route, yes it seems to keep the hierarchy, but in my case I need the links too. And for 3000+ “thoughts” and even more links, I just don’t feel like doing this by hand.
So either some magic happens, or I find the time to write a proper routine, or it will stay as is for the moment.
As a side thought, it probably means it doesn’t “hurt” enough to have such an inefficient setup…

Where would you store these links in the DEVONthink records? Appended to the actual text? Or as custom metadata? If so, which metadata type?

Writing an AppleScript should be doable but I‘ve no idea where to store the links.

I use links in TheBrain in 2 ways : between thoughts, and in-text links (I mean a link from within the text of a thought to another thought).
Migrating to DT, I would seek to replicate this, probably by using a wikilink in the text of a DTnote. Maybe with a "see [[linkednote]] " line at the top -or at the bottom- of a DTnote.
But once again, I haven’t thought this through, as I haven’t got the time right now to code.

Yes, I got that. The reason I asked is that I have time to code and if you don’t insist on doing it yourself I would try to write it.

1 Like

@shiiko unfortunately this would skip a lot of folders as TheBrain creates aliases and DEVONthink doesn’t import aliases. (Edit: But it’s possible with this script).

I’m writing a script that works around this situation, but I just downloaded TheBrain last week, so I have no idea about the features and how they can be used, also I’ve of course no good test data. I’ve included as much data (that I’m aware of …) in the import as possible, but I’m quite sure I missed things that would be obvious for experienced TheBrain users. I don’t even know how brains are structured, if more than one top thought is possible etc.

My intention is to only use features that can be somehow exported, but without knowing the app it’s quite hard to figure if I’m on a good way.

Would you or other TheBrain users try the script on a copy of real data?

@pete31 I would be willing to try a test. But TheBrain website has some demo Brains that can be downloaded that come pre-filled. Also note that TheBrain is going through a major update and I am using their new v12 which introduces backlinks, among other things.

Great! Didn’t know of demo Brains, I’ll take a look.

Where are backlinks visible? In the plex or in the thoughts? I guess they didn’t change the whole linking system so it’s probably easy to include backlinks. Ah, moment! The script already includes backlinks :sweat_smile:

I downloaded an update a few days ago but my TheBrain is still 11.0.131.0. Are you beta tester?

In some hours I’ll post a first version.

I think your best bet would be to use the Export Brain Data feature to export a “brain” to JSON and then parse that export file. TheBrain does not support AppleScript, JXA, etc.

The “Folders” and “Text Outline” export options are of limited usefulness.

I made a quick-start brain for you and exported it to JSON. Here’s the data:

Link will self-destruct 20201101

1 Like

Hi korm, the trick is to use both, “JSON” and “Folders” export. This way we’ll get both, the links and the folder structure :slight_smile:

However I didn’t find a way to convert in-text links, so clicking them in DEVONthink will open the thought in TheBrain.

I think it could be possible to replace them afterwards by querying the SQL database, but I didn’t try it yet (and that’s something I’ve never done so I’ll do the basics first).

Thanks!

Thanks! Could you also upload a “Folders” export of this Brain? Without it I can only test a part of the script.

Looks like there’s a bug in the current v12 beta – it crashes when it tries to export as folders.

If you ever have questions re querying the sqlite db, let me know.

1 Like

May I ask, what is the point of importing the data from The Brain?
Are you transitioning from it to DEVONthink?

Unlike DEVONthink, TheBrain is a locked proprietary platform. Though working with TheBrain is interesting and useful, getting off of it is chore. So, many people have collections of notes, references, and attachments in TheBrain that could reside just as well in DEVONthink. I think that’s a good enough motivation to continue the discussion and thank Pete31 for what he’s working on.

1 Like

This script should

• Import TheBrain’s JSON export …
  • … structured like TheBrain’s Folders export …
  • … create outgoing and incoming links in markdown records …
  • … create links to attachments …
  • … and optionally import external attachments.

It works reliably with my very small test data, I’m of course not sure whether it works as expected with real data.

Please test it even if you don’t want to use TheBrain’s export in DEVONthink, any feedback would be appreciated. I’m not satisfied with the look of the markdown records, however fine looking markdown doesn’t make sense if it doesn’t work …

Create a new folder and export your Brain as “JSON” and as “Folders” into two subfolders named “JSON” and “Folders”.

Hope it works :sweat_smile:

Edit: There’s a new version, down in this thread.

-- Import TheBrain export
-- Create a new folder and export your Brain as "JSON" and as "Folders" into two subfolders named "JSON" and "Folders".

use AppleScript version "2.4"
use framework "Foundation"
use scripting additions

property useNameAsHeading : true
property theHeadingLevel : "###"
property theLinkSectionDelimiter : "---"
property theLinkDelimiter : "   "
property importExternalAttachments : false

global thePlist

tell application "System Events"
	try
		activate
		set theFolderPath to POSIX path of (choose folder with prompt "Choose folder that holds \"JSON\" and \"Folders\" subfolders:" default location (path to desktop folder) without invisibles)
		set theExportAsFolderPath to (theFolderPath & "/" & "Folders") as string
		my existsPath(theExportAsFolderPath)
		if folders of folder theExportAsFolderPath = {} then error "Error: Missing \"Folders\" export"
		set theExportAsJSONPath to (theFolderPath & "/" & "JSON") as string
		my existsPath(theExportAsJSONPath)
		set theExportAsJSONSubfolderPaths to POSIX path of folders of folder theExportAsJSONPath
		if theExportAsJSONSubfolderPaths = {} then error "Error: Missing \"JSON\" export"
		set theThoughtsJSON_Path to (theExportAsJSONPath & "/" & "thoughts.json") as string
		my existsPath(theThoughtsJSON_Path)
		set theLinksJSON_Path to (theExportAsJSONPath & "/" & "links.json") as string
		my existsPath(theLinksJSON_Path)
		set theAttachmentsJSON_Path to (theExportAsJSONPath & "/" & "attachments.json") as string
		my existsPath(theAttachmentsJSON_Path)
		set thePlist to (theFolderPath & "/" & "Brain.plist") as string
		try
			exists POSIX file thePlist as alias
		on error
			make new property list file with properties {name:thePlist}
		end try

on error error_message number error_number
		activate
		if the error_number is not -128 then display alert "System Events" message error_message as warning
		return
	end try
end tell

tell application id "DNtp"
	try
		activate
		set theGroup to display group selector
		set theDatabase to database of theGroup
		set theLocationAndName to ((location of theGroup) & (name of theGroup)) as string
		show progress indicator "Importing Brain ..." steps 4

activate
		if the error_number is not -128 then display alert "DEVONthink" message error_message as warning
		return
	end try
end tell

try
	my stepProgress("Reading JSON")
	set theJSON_LinksDictionary to my readJSON(theLinksJSON_Path)
	repeat with thisItem in theJSON_LinksDictionary
		set thisThoughtIdA to (|ThoughtIdA| of thisItem) as string
		set thisThoughtIdB to (|ThoughtIdB| of thisItem) as string
		my writePlist(thisThoughtIdA, missing value, thisThoughtIdB, missing value, missing value)
		my writePlist(thisThoughtIdB, missing value, missing value, thisThoughtIdA, missing value)
	end repeat

set theJSON_ThoughtsDictionary to my readJSON(theThoughtsJSON_Path)
	repeat with thisItem in theJSON_ThoughtsDictionary
		my writePlist((|Id| of thisItem) as string, (|Name| of thisItem) as string, missing value, missing value, missing value)
	end repeat

set theJSON_AttachmentsDictionary to my readJSON(theAttachmentsJSON_Path)
	repeat with thisItem in theJSON_AttachmentsDictionary
		set thisName to (|Name| of thisItem) as string
		set thisLocation to (|Location| of thisItem) as string
		if thisName ≠ thisLocation then my writePlist((|SourceId| of thisItem) as string, missing value, missing value, missing value, {|name|:thisName, location:thisLocation})
	end repeat

tell application id "DNtp" to hide progress indicator
	activate
	if the error_number is not -128 then display alert "JSON" message error_message as warning
	return
end try

try
		my stepProgress("Creating Groups")
		set thePaths to POSIX path of (disk items of folder theExportAsFolderPath whose visible is true)
		my createLocations(thePaths, theExportAsFolderPath, theDatabase, theLocationAndName)

tell application id "DNtp" to hide progress indicator
		if the error_number is not -128 then display alert "System Events" message error_message as warning
		return
	end try
end tell

try
		set theJSONExportGroup to create record with {name:"JSON Export", type:group} in theGroup
		set theSmartGroup_Group to create record with {type:smart group, search predicates:"kind:group", search group:theGroup, name:"kind:group"} in theGroup
		set theSmartGroup_Any to create record with {type:smart group, search predicates:"kind:any", search group:theGroup, name:"kind:any"} in theGroup

repeat with thisPath in theExportAsJSONSubfolderPaths
			import thisPath to theJSONExportGroup
		end repeat

my stepProgress("Creating Links ...")
		set theIDs to my getPlistIDs(thePlist)
		set theRecordNames_record to {}
		repeat with thisID in theIDs
			set theThoughtGroups to (children of theJSONExportGroup whose name = thisID)
			if theThoughtGroups ≠ {} then
				set theThoughtGroup to item 1 of theThoughtGroups
				set theThoughtGroupChildren to (children of theThoughtGroup whose name = "Notes.md" or name = "Notes")
				if theThoughtGroupChildren ≠ {} then
					set theMarkdownRecord to item 1 of theThoughtGroupChildren
					set {theName, theLinkIDs_outgoing, theLinkIDs_incoming, theAttachments} to {item 1, item 2, item 3, item 4} of my readPlist(thePlist, thisID)
					step progress indicator ("Creating Links ... " & theName) as string
					set end of theRecordNames_record to {|record|:theMarkdownRecord, |name|:theName}
					if useNameAsHeading = true then set plain text of theMarkdownRecord to theHeadingLevel & space & theName & linefeed & linefeed & (plain text of theMarkdownRecord)
					if theLinkIDs_outgoing ≠ {} then my writeMarkdownLinks(theLinkIDs_outgoing, theJSONExportGroup, theMarkdownRecord, "Outgoing")
					if theLinkIDs_incoming ≠ {} then my writeMarkdownLinks(theLinkIDs_incoming, theJSONExportGroup, theMarkdownRecord, "Incoming")
					my writeMarkdownLinks_Attachments(theAttachments, theMarkdownRecord)
				end if
			else
				error "Can't get group ID \"" & thisID & "\""
			end if
		end repeat

my stepProgress("Moving Records")
		repeat with this_record in theRecordNames_record
			set thisRecord to (|record| of this_record)
			set thisName to (|name| of this_record)
			set name of thisRecord to thisName
			set theGroups to (children of theSmartGroup_Group whose name = thisName)
			if theGroups ≠ {} then
				set thisGroup to item 1 of theGroups
				set theChildren to (children of (parent 1 of thisRecord) whose type ≠ group)
				if theChildren ≠ {} then
					repeat with thisChild in theChildren
						move record thisChild to thisGroup
					end repeat
				else
					error "Can't move children"
				end if
			end if
		end repeat
		hide progress indicator

hide progress indicator
		activate
		if the error_number is not -128 then display alert "DEVONthink" message error_message as warning
		return
	end try
end tell

on existsPath(thePath)
	try
		exists POSIX file thePath as alias
	on error
		activate
		display alert "Error: Handler \"existsPath\"" message "Can't get path: \"" & thePath & "\"" as warning
		error number -128
	end try
end existsPath

on stepProgress(theInfo)
	tell application id "DNtp" to step progress indicator theInfo as string
end stepProgress

on readJSON(thePath)
	try
		set ndJSON_File to POSIX file thePath
		set ndJSON to read ndJSON_File as «class utf8»
		set theParagraphs to paragraphs of ndJSON
		if (item -1 in theParagraphs) as string = "" then set theParagraphs to items 1 thru -2 in theParagraphs
		set theJSON to "[" & linefeed & my tid(theParagraphs, "," & linefeed) & linefeed & "]" -- ndJSON -> JSON
		set theJSON_String to current application's NSString's stringWithString:theJSON
		set theJSON_Data to theJSON_String's dataUsingEncoding:(current application's NSUTF8StringEncoding) -- https://forum.latenightsw.com/t/reading-json-data-with-nsjsonserialization/958/2 
		set theJSON_Dictionary to current application's NSJSONSerialization's JSONObjectWithData:theJSON_Data options:0 |error|:(missing value)
		activate
		display alert "Error: Handler \"readJSON\"" message error_message as warning
		error number -128
	end try
end readJSON

on writePlist(theID, theName, theOutgoingLinkID, theIncomingLinkID, theAttachments)
		try
			tell property list file thePlist
				if not (exists property list item theID) then make new property list item at end of property list items of contents with properties {kind:record, name:theID, value:{|name|:"", |linkIDs_outgoing|:{}, |linkIDs_incoming|:{}, attachments:{}}}
				if theName ≠ missing value then set (value of property list item "name" of property list item theID) to theName
				set theValue_LinkIDs_outgoing to (value of property list item "linkIDs_outgoing" of property list item theID) -- testing
				if theOutgoingLinkID ≠ missing value and theValue_LinkIDs_outgoing does not contain theOutgoingLinkID then set (value of property list item "linkIDs_outgoing" of property list item theID) to theValue_LinkIDs_outgoing & {theOutgoingLinkID}
				set theValue_LinkIDs_incoming to (value of property list item "linkIDs_incoming" of property list item theID) -- testing
				if theIncomingLinkID ≠ missing value and theValue_LinkIDs_incoming does not contain theIncomingLinkID then set (value of property list item "linkIDs_incoming" of property list item theID) to theValue_LinkIDs_incoming & {theIncomingLinkID}
				set theValue_Attachments to (value of property list item "attachments" of property list item theID) -- testing
				if theAttachments ≠ missing value and theValue_Attachments ≠ theAttachments then set (value of property list item "attachments" of property list item theID) to {theAttachments}
			end tell
			activate
			display alert "Error: Handler \"writePlist\"" message error_message as warning
			error number -128
		end try
	end tell
end writePlist

on createLocations(thePaths, theExportAsFolderPath, theDatabase, theLocationAndName)
		try
			repeat with thisPath in thePaths
				set thisPath to thisPath as string
				set thisResolvedPath to my resolveAlias(thisPath)

if (class of (disk item thisResolvedPath)) = folder then
						try
							if thisPath = thisResolvedPath then
								set theLocation to my removeFromString(thisPath, theExportAsFolderPath)
								create location ((theLocationAndName & "/" & theLocation) as string) in theDatabase
							else
								set theAliasDestination_Location to my removeFromString(thisResolvedPath, theExportAsFolderPath)
								set theAliasDestination_Group to create location ((theLocationAndName & "/" & theAliasDestination_Location) as string) in theDatabase
								set theAliasParent_Location to my removeFromString(my dir(thisPath), theExportAsFolderPath)
								set theAliasParent_Group to create location ((theLocationAndName & "/" & theAliasParent_Location) as string) in theDatabase
								replicate record theAliasDestination_Group to theAliasParent_Group
							end if

activate
							display alert "Error: Handler \"createLocations\" - DEVONthink" message error_message as warning
							error number -128
						end try
					end tell
				end if

if (class of disk item thisPath) = folder then
					set thesePaths to POSIX path of (disk items of disk item thisPath whose visible is true)
					my createLocations(thesePaths, theExportAsFolderPath, theDatabase, theLocationAndName)
				end if
			end repeat

activate
			display alert "Error: Handler \"createLocations\"" message error_message as warning
			error number -128
		end try
	end tell
end createLocations

on getPlistIDs(thePlist)
	try
				set theIDs to name of property list items
			end tell
		end tell
		activate
		display alert "Error: Handler \"getPlistIDs\"" message error_message as warning
		error number -128
	end try
end getPlistIDs

on writeMarkdownLinks(theLinkIDs, theJSONExportGroup, theMarkdownRecord, theLinkSectionName)
		try
			set theMarkdownLinks to {}

repeat with thisLinkID in theLinkIDs
				set theLinkGroups to (children of theJSONExportGroup whose name = thisLinkID)
				if theLinkGroups ≠ {} then
					set theLinkMarkdownRecords to (children of (item 1 of theLinkGroups) whose name = "Notes.md" or name = "Notes")
					if theLinkMarkdownRecords ≠ {} then
						set thisLinkMarkdownRecord to item 1 of theLinkMarkdownRecords
						set thisLinkMarkdownRecord_Name to item 1 of (my readPlist(thePlist, thisLinkID))
						set thisLinkMarkdownRecord_ReferenceURL to reference URL of thisLinkMarkdownRecord
						set end of theMarkdownLinks to ("[" & thisLinkMarkdownRecord_Name & "](" & thisLinkMarkdownRecord_ReferenceURL & ")") as string
					else
						error "Can't get markdown record \"" & thisLinkID & "\""
					end if
				else
					error "Can't get group \"" & thisLinkID & "\""
				end if
			end repeat

if theMarkdownLinks ≠ {} then
				set theMarkdownLinks_string to my tid(my sort_list(theMarkdownLinks), theLinkDelimiter)
				set theMarkdownLinksSection to theLinkSectionDelimiter & linefeed & linefeed & theLinkSectionName & ": " & theMarkdownLinks_string & space & space
				set theText to plain text of theMarkdownRecord
				set newText to (theText & linefeed & linefeed & theMarkdownLinksSection) as string
				set plain text of theMarkdownRecord to newText
			end if

activate
			display alert "Error: Handler \"writeMarkdownLinks\"" message error_message as warning
			error number -128
		end try
	end tell
end writeMarkdownLinks

on writeMarkdownLinks_Attachments(theAttachments, theMarkdownRecord)
		try
			set theMarkdownLinks to {}

set theAttachmentRecords to (children of (parent 1 of theMarkdownRecord) whose name ≠ "Notes.md" and name ≠ "Notes")
			repeat with thisAttachmentRecord in theAttachmentRecords -- Internal
				set thisAttachmentRecord_ReferenceURL to reference URL of thisAttachmentRecord
				set thisAttachmentRecord_Name to name of thisAttachmentRecord
				set end of theMarkdownLinks to ("[" & thisAttachmentRecord_Name & "](" & thisAttachmentRecord_ReferenceURL & ")") as string
			end repeat

repeat with this_record in theAttachments -- External
				set thisName to |name| of this_record
				set thisLocation to |location| of this_record
				if thisLocation starts with "/" then
					if importExternalAttachments = false then
							try
								set thisLocation to URL of disk item thisLocation
							end try
						end tell
						set thisMarkdownLink to ("[" & thisName & "](" & thisLocation & ")") as string
						set end of theMarkdownLinks to thisMarkdownLink
					else
						set thisAttachment to import thisLocation to (parent 1 of theMarkdownRecord)
						set thisAttachment_ReferenceURL to reference URL of thisAttachment
						set thisAttachment_Name to name of thisAttachment
						set end of theMarkdownLinks to ("[" & thisAttachment_Name & "](" & thisAttachment_ReferenceURL & ")") as string
					end if
				else
					set thisMarkdownLink to ("[" & thisName & "](" & thisLocation & ")") as string
					set end of theMarkdownLinks to thisMarkdownLink
				end if
			end repeat

if theMarkdownLinks ≠ {} then
				set theMarkdownLinks_string to my tid(my sort_list(theMarkdownLinks), theLinkDelimiter)
				set theMarkdownLinksSection to theLinkSectionDelimiter & linefeed & linefeed & "Attachments" & ": " & theMarkdownLinks_string & space & space
				set theText to plain text of theMarkdownRecord
				set newText to (theText & linefeed & linefeed & theMarkdownLinksSection) as string
				set plain text of theMarkdownRecord to newText
			end if

activate
			display alert "Error: Handler \"writeMarkdownLinks_Attachments\"" message error_message as warning
			error number -128
		end try
	end tell
end writeMarkdownLinks_Attachments

on readPlist(thePlist, theID)
	try
				if exists property list item theID then
					set theName to (value of property list item "name" of property list item theID)
					set theOutgoingLinkIDs to (value of property list item "linkIDs_outgoing" of property list item theID) as list
					set theIncomingLinkIDs to (value of property list item "linkIDs_incoming" of property list item theID) as list
					set theAttachments to (value of property list item "attachments" of property list item theID) as list
					return {theName, theOutgoingLinkIDs, theIncomingLinkIDs, theAttachments}
				else
					error "Plist: Can't get ID \"" & thisID & "\""
				end if
			end tell
		end tell
		activate
		display alert "Error: Handler \"readPlist\"" message error_message as warning
		error number -128
	end try
end readPlist

on tid(theInput, theDelimiter)
	set d to AppleScript's text item delimiters
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to theDelimiter
	if class of theInput = text then
		set theOutput to text items of theInput
	else if class of theInput = list then
		set theOutput to theInput as text
	end if
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to d
	return theOutput
end tid

on resolveAlias(thePath)
	try
		set thePath_URL to (current application's class "NSURL"'s fileURLWithPath:thePath)
		set thePath_Original_URL to (current application's class "NSURL"'s URLByResolvingAliasFileAtURL:thePath_URL options:0 |error|:(missing value))
		set thePath_Original to (POSIX path of (thePath_Original_URL as string))
		if thePath_Original ends with "/" then set thePath_Original to (characters 1 thru -2 in thePath_Original) as string
		return thePath_Original
		activate
		display alert "Error: Handler \"resolveAlias\"" message error_message as warning
		error number -128
	end try
end resolveAlias

on dir(thePath)
	try
		set revPath to (reverse of characters of thePath) as string
		return (reverse of (characters ((offset of "/" in revPath) + 1) thru -1 in revPath)) as string
		activate
		display alert "Error: Handler \"dir\"" message error_message as warning
		error number -128
	end try
end dir

on removeFromString(theText, CharOrString)
	local ASTID, theText, CharOrString, lst
	set ASTID to AppleScript's text item delimiters
	try
		considering case
			if theText does not contain CharOrString then ¬
				return theText
			set AppleScript's text item delimiters to CharOrString
			set lst to theText's text items
		end considering
		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ASTID
		return lst as text
	on error eMsg number eNum
		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ASTID
		error "Can't RemoveFromString: " & eMsg number eNum
	end try
end removeFromString

on sort_list(theList)
	considering numeric strings
		set theIndexList to {}
		set theSortedList to {}
		repeat (length of theList) times
			set theLowItem to ""
			repeat with a from 1 to (length of theList)
				if a is not in theIndexList then
					set theCurrentItem to item a of theList as text
					if theLowItem is "" then
						set theLowItem to theCurrentItem
						set theLowItemIndex to a
					else if theCurrentItem comes before theLowItem then
						set theLowItem to theCurrentItem
						set theLowItemIndex to a
					end if
				end if
			end repeat
			set end of theSortedList to theLowItem
			set end of theIndexList to theLowItemIndex
		end repeat
	end considering
	return theSortedList
end sort_list

@pete31 thanks, I’ll test this later.

One thing I could change, or make optional by commented code, would be to import the data to a new database. Obviously, we can create a database and do that if we want that option. Some “brains” can be very large and moving the import into a new database for cleanup might be a good idea. With DEVONthink 3, moving the import over to existing database(s), post-cleanup, is no big deal.

Unfortunately JSON export in TheBrain is all of nothing – you cannot export a subset of a database.

Thought of it while writing but finally skipped it as it didn’t make sense in my case with this little test brain, for large brains this is of course a good idea.

It’s possible to export the desired subset as “Folders” export and then match the JSON against it. That’s how records are moved in the script too, so exporting subsets should be doable.

Sure, for someone who wants to muck around in different exports, munge them together, and figure it out. Ordinary folk don’t need that annoyance. But, my point is that TheBrain is not designed to merely select several “thoughts” (notes) and export just that selection to JSON. IMO, it’s bad design, but the product manager of TheBrain does not agree with me.

1 Like

Hmm, no TheBrain users around to test this Import TheBrain script?