Importing MS Word without converting to RTF

Is there any way to import Word docs into DT database without converting them to RTFs? Word footnotes, headers, etc. get all funked up if converted to RTFs, so I want to keep them intact.

I know I can create aliases to point to the actual docs in the finder but I don’t want to do it. I want to keep them inside my DT database package.

You could…

1. Activate the “Create links to unknown file types” and “Copy linked files to database folder” options in the “Import” preference pane (just noticed that these two options should be independent - will be fixed in the next release)

2. Choose “File > Link To…” and select the desired Word documents

This will copy the documents to the database folder and create links to them (note that linked files can’t be edited). However, one major disadvantage is probably that you can’t search for contents of linked files or use see also/classify.

Hi everyone!

I usually prefer indexing my data instead if importing it into the DTPro database. Thus I’ll never be afraid of database corruption again, for one thing. Another advantage is, that I can open the documents via the “Open with external app…”-button (or similar), while I am still able to search the files.

Have a good one,
Christian

By the way - the next release will include an “Open with…” menu like the Finder.

Ahh, thanks! I’ll make a script to index them to make them searchable.

“Is there any way to import Word docs into DT database without converting them to RTFs? Word footnotes, headers, etc. get all funked up if converted to RTFs, so I want to keep them intact.
I know I can create aliases to point to the actual docs in the finder but I don’t want to do it. I want to keep them inside my DT database package.”

Another possibility (which preserves search capability) would be to print the .doc-file as PDF from Word for the purpose of archiving. You could also combine this method with the others mentioned in this thread.

Jochen