Impossible to perform OCR with PDF Documents

Hi,

I imported to DT 2 files scanned with my HP MFP. Obviously the inspector recognize them as PDF Documents. I can open them with DT (preview) or externally with PDF Expert/Preview, everything seems to be OK.

However the option OCR > to searchable PDF is disabled/grey. In addition, when I create a smart rule using the condition “Kind is PDF/PS”, those 2 files don’t appear in the list.

Any idea why?

You are using DEVONthink 3 Standard.
OCR is only available in the Pro and Server editions.

Select ​DEVONthink 3 > Purchase ​to open our online store with upgrade options specific to your license.

I’m still using the trial version before buying the Pro one, and with it I can perform OCR on other PDF files…

Actually it seems that I can’t do it only with some PDF created from my scanner (but I can open them).

Any idea?

The trial is limited to 20 OCR operations per day to prevent abuse.

Sure but it long was before the daily limitation.

Btw, as I wrote first, if I create a Smart Rule with the filter “Kind is PDF/PS” I don’t see those same files in the list! Maybe it’s not only a problem with OCR, am I doing something wrong?

Does this persist after quitting and relaunching DEVONthink?

Yes it does, I restarted several times my mac, and also Verify & Repair + Optimize the database…

In DEVONthink, hold the Option key and select Help > Report Bug. Attach a PDF that isn’t working. Thanks!

It does not happen with all the PDF files… look at the enclosed screenshot. I cannot perform OCR on the files with the red “PDF” label, but it works fine with the other ones. All those files have been created exactly the same way by my scanner HP MTF and I can open all of them in DT3 as well as in Preview/PDF Expert.

I can’t send you those scans because their content is confidential, I’m gonna scan other documents and send them to you soon.

Thanks for your help @BLUEFROG

No problem :slight_smile:

Hi @BLUEFROG, I sent you the mail a few minutes ago… looking forward to hearing from you :slight_smile: