Inbox points to V2 not V3

I just noticed that several things that I have dragged to “Inbox” in my Finder Sidebar haven’t been showing up in my DT Inbox. I determined that the items are going into the DT2 Inbox folder not the DT3 inbox folder. Two questions:

1. Can I just remove the Inbox from my Finder sidebar and then drag the DT3 Inbox to the side bar without any undesirable side effects?

2. Can I delete the entire DT2 folder in ~Library/Applications Support?

(I have been running DT3 for a couple of months (or so) but didn’t notice the problem because I mostly use my iMac and that seems to be working correctly, but I am currently traveling with my MBP and that’s where the wrong folder is used).

DEVONthink 2 and 3 use different Inboxes. You find the Inbox of Version 2 here:

~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/

and the Inbox of version 3 here:

~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/

Drag the Inbox (Inbox.dtBase2) you find in

~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/

to the finder, open it as a Database and move the content wherever you want. Afterwards you can delete that Inbox. Then delete the Link in the finder sidebar and replace it with the Inbox for DEVONthink 3 (You can just drag the Inbox into the finder sidebar. Or use DEVONthink 3 > Install Add-Ons

Also, you should not run DEVONthink 2 and 3 on the same account, on the same machine. At a minimum, you should delete DEVONthink 2.x from the /Applications folder and reboot the machine.

Thanks to both of you – but I don’t think that I actually get an answer to either of my questions :slight_smile:

Clearly I knew where all of those folders are since I refer to both of them in my original question.

The DT2 was long removed from my Application folder and I am sure the machine has been rebooted several times since then (although I don’t reboot often).

So let me try again.

1. Can I just remove the (old) Inbox from my Finder sidebar and then drag the DT3 Inbox to the side bar without any undesirable side effects?

2. Can I delete the entire DT2 folder in ~Library/Applications Support?

Thanks

1. Icons in the Finder sidebar are just aliases. So if you remove DT2’s Inbox from the Finder sidebar nothing will happen to the Inbox itself. Afterwards you can put DT3’s Inbox into the sidebar, either by drag & drop or by the Install Add-ons menu in DT3.

2. Has been answered by Michael already. Since you have been saving items erroneously to the DT2 Inbox on your MBP you should save all these items first. To do that open the DT2 Inbox with DT3. It will be handled like a standard database. Then drag all its content into DT3’s Inbox (or the database you want it to be in). Afterwards you close the DT2 Inbox and in the last step you can delete it as part of the enclosing DT2 folder.

Great… Thanks. I have already moved all of the Inbox stuff to the DT3 Inbox so I think I am all set there.