I think that it’s more a question of what is considered a link. What a link is or is not is defined in some way. E. g. in DT it’s either a path or a url. What I propose is to add urlencoded paths to the possible options. In other words: I’d like to add to the definition of what is considered a markdown link.
And what should DT (or any other software) do with a simple text like this?
Hm? What would you like me to explain better? I’m not sure I follow.
Then you might want to prepend it with file:///Alternatively, provide an absolute (!) path to it. Otherwise, DT (or any other software) has not chance to determine the location of the file. I tried it with two links: /Users/<user>/Desktop/example%20file.html
Both worked exactly as expected: DT opened them in the default browser.
BTW: The issue is not “URL encoded” or not. DT (and probably all software supporting URLs and linking to them) do support URL encoding. Otherwise, they’d be fairly useless. Rather, it is how you specify the link target. I suppose that DT needs an absolute path so that it can locate the resource.
This is true, but not for image links. And Obsidian can only do one or the other for both types of links (Obsidian came up with this syntax for “wiki” image links ![[image.png]]).
Except Obsidian, I guess? The difference is really just in the encoding of the link.
The difference between [2020-02-10 - facilethings](2020-02-10%20-%20facilethings) and [2020-02-10 - facilethings](2020-02-10 - facilethings) is just in the form of the string of the link. And I am just proposing that DT treats them both as equivalent as regards to what constitutes a link target.
But can you click on it? And does it appear as a link/incoming link? For me it doesn’t.
EDIT: I have noticed that my example link was a little bit confusing. I have change the link in all of my posts. So instead of [2020-02-10 - FacileThings](2020-02-10%20-%20facilethings) (note the different capitalization of facilethings/FacileThings) it now reads everywhere 2020-02-10 - facilethings and [2020-02-10 - facilethings](2020-02-10 - facilethings)
It turns out that the actual problem was NOT with the urlencoded link itself, but with the missing extension. As soon as I changed the link to [2020-02-10 - facilethings](2020-02-10%20-%20facilethings.md) DT was able to pick it up.
Of course. But I was talking about different folders containing files with the same name. No help from the filesystem there, and the link stops working. That’s why I was wondering about the path (be it absolute or relative).