Indent Highlights

Is there a way to indent highlights from PDF documents so that they will appear properly arranged upon using the summarize highlights function?

If summarized highlights are in a markdown file, you can define your CSS to provide the necessary settings.

To provide additional context, I am looking for a way to define header or outline (e.g. h1, h2, h3, etc.) during the highlighting process in order for this to be available when the highlights are extracted/summarised. If one does not define this during the highlighting process, it will likely be very difficult to define after the fact. How would CSS know which highlights to maintain as headings and which to indent as children in a summarised textbook with 500+ highlights?

Well, in your original post, you said “indenting” (also in the title). That would be done with CSS. Headings are something very different. And I doubt that there’s a way to provide headings during the highlighting. Perhaps you can add notes to your PDF providing these titles, but I don’t know if that’s possible nor if they get included in the summarize highlight file.

As you have PDFs, perhaps some of the sophisticated PDF editors, e.g. Adobe Acrobat, which all can be called directly from DEVONthink, have this capability. I’d suggest checking with those products.

Basically, PDFs are really not designed to be editable documents.

1 Like