Indexing Calibre in DTP?

Hi there!

I am trying to solve a problem where bringing my Calibre-based PDFs onto my iPad Pro necessitates that I copy them over, which results in duplicates.

I’m wondering if it’s possible to index my Calibre library into a DTP database (let’s call the database IndexedCalibre) and then search/access the books via DT2Go?

I have thousands of PDFs in Calibre; would IndexedCalibre create problems for me? Is there anything I’m missing out on before I try this?

I’ll also mention that my Calibre library sits in OneDrive at the moment.

DEVONthink To Go does not support indexed files, so if they were indexed into your Mac database and synced to DTTG, there would be local copies on the mobile device.
Granted, you could use a shallow sync, ie. Download Files: On Demand but when downloading the contents, it is still local. It would not be pointing to your OneDrive folder.

So in that context, if I highlighted something in a pdf on DTTG and went back to my laptop and viewed the same file in DTP, the highlights wouldn’t carry over?

And, likewise, the pdf in Calibre wouldn’t show highlights?

So in that context, if I highlighted something in a pdf on DTTG and went back to my laptop and viewed the same file in DTP, the highlights wouldn’t carry over?

No, that’s not correct (though there currently is a bug under investigation in DTTG that could cause the highlights to not appear). Changes made in DTTG and DEVONthink are synced between each other.

And, likewise, the pdf in Calibre wouldn’t show highlights?

I can’t speak for compatibility in Calbre, but if DEVONthink is indexing the folder in the Finder, it is dealing with the same files as Cablire.

Thank you!

I’m running into a related problem in trying to set this up.

I have DT3 running and DTTG as well

I’ve done two things: created a database that indexes the entirety of my Calibre library (which really is nothing more than a folder with sub-folders, books and book covers). I’ve set this up to sync from my DT3, but cannot seem to find the database when I try to setup sync in DTTG on either iPad or iPhone.

So I tried to index just one PDF in a database that I know is syncing properly. But when I attempt to download the indexed file on DTTG, it makes a show of downloading and then does nothing.

Any ideas here?

In DEVONthink, hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket.

I have found a workaround. I converted my entire Calibre library books as an ePub. My Calibre Library contains MOBI, ePUB, PDF, TXT, DOC, XML, CBZ (comic books). > 3000 items with metadata

Calibre> Convert books> Create a catalog of the books in your directory> Catalog format (choose from azw3, epub, XML, csv, mobi, bib).

If you choose e-Pub, click on the tab “E-book options” and select your e-Book options. I tried it with all the bells and whistles options and because my catalog is pushing 3000, the first go took a while and the file was 16MB. When I tried with only “Author” and “Description” it came to 12MB. Cover art will generate.

In DevonThink, to File> Import> File & Folders
Select the ePub (likely named “My Calibre Books”)
The result will be an item with “(EPUB)” as its Kind. It presents as an index that is alphabetized and hyperlinked. In my case, books are alphabetized by author. However, if you prefer to view by title, you change the sorting in the ePub native file by title and import that version instead.

Good luck.

Welcome @cathode

So this created an aggregate file of all your Calibre content or just a handy index pointing to the titles?

Yes. This is only an aggregate of all my Calibre titles with hyperlinks pointing to just title, cover, and metadata such as abstract. It does not point to and open the actual source file I have. In my case, it does not open my Calibre file held in DropBox. That would be great. However, for my academic workflow, I like the snapshot because I create annotated versions of certain texts leaving the original pristine for teaching purposes. a direct action might create confusion. A really good DT plugin would resolve this.