Indexing Files and Folders on Desktop and MBP

Just installed DEVONthink on my 2nd seat (Mac mini). Not sure if I did this right, but I indexed my Files and Folders as I did on my MBP (all the files and folders are the same). Should I have carried over any DT database to the Mac mini? What am I missing? Presently, I have my iOS devices syncing to my MBP database.

How did you get the databases onto the Mac Mini? Copy or use your sync?

If you want to have the same groups, tags etc: yes.

And why don’t you sync your Mac mini, too?

I had synced all my files from my MBP to my Mac mini before installing DEVONthink. Then, on the Mac mini, I created the 2 databases I have on my MBP and then indexed the files on my Mac mini.

Any particular reason you want to index files rather than import them?

There are valid reasons for indexing, but indexing has more potential gotchas and requires a more thorough understanding of how DT3 works.

2 Likes

Kind of late to respond here haha.
I’ve started over with DT with my new Mac SSD and again, have indexed rather than import, simply because I really don’t want my files all getting lost in DT’s database structure. Having said that, what are some of the “gotcha” scenarios? Or, in the last year, has that been ironed out?

Best at this juncture that you re-read “IMPORTING & INDEXING” starting on page 52 of the “DEVONthink Manual”, 3.90 version.

Best (and pretty much required) that you ignore the internals of the DEVONthink “database structure” and focus on the User Interface provided by the app.

1 Like

I’ll give that a read. Thanks.

Meaning what exactly?

Files are scattered into a myriad of folders that make no sense to me. I’d rather have the originals in a structure I can understand.

When you import they go into the structure of groups YOU define. So if scattered, that is your doing.

Repeating previous statements, do not mess with the internal file structure of the DEVONthink databases.

They don’t have to – DT is organizing the access to them. Use databases, groups etc in DT to organize your data.

It’s like every other database or even Apple’s Photos app: they hold the data somewhere (™) and give you access to them through their interfaces.

As @rmschne advised: You should not be getting into the internals of a DEVONthink database. When used correctly, there is no functional difference between organizing in the Finder or DEVONthink. In fact, however you’d organize in the Finder can easily translate to how you’d file in DEVONthink.

That is exactly The Delight of DEVONthink: it doesn’t matter in the slightest. :grinning:

Stephen

2 Likes