Indexing Mail.app mailboxes into DTPO: Possible to do?

I’ve just upgraded to DTPO, and am trying to figure out how (if) I can index an IMAP mailbox with subfolders (one parent, two branches) into one of my databases, rather than the global inbox. I can’t seem to figure out how to get this to work as desired, but admit my casual user-ness of DT.

Ideally, I could have Mail.app rules sort my incoming mail into the specific mailboxes (I have this working) and then index a particular subset of my mailbox folders into a specified target DT database.

Can someone help me figure out how I can do this?

Mailboxes are within ~/Library/Mail/V2/[domain name]/INBOX.mbox/[blah] and can be indexed. Deep in the hierarchy you will get to a folder named “Messages”, which contains the individual message files. At that you’ll have indexed a folder of .emlx documents that DEVONthink does not provide a preview for (though selecting one and pressing space will use Mail’s previewer). And you’ll also have an indexed hierarchy that was designed to be maintained by Mail.app or other mail programs – with the risk that inadvertently damaging the hierarchy will hose your mail program’s ability to use the mailbox.

OTOH, you paid for DEVONthink Pro Office so why not use the mail import features you bought?

Thanks, korm! As always, you are a great help, and I really appreciate it. :exclamation:

I’d rather use the DTPO features that I paid for (heh) but am not sure if I will have to manually import the mail, or if I can feed the incoming email automagically after Mail.app rules are applied.

Any insight?

You should be able to make Mail rules that import new mail from your configured mailboxes to either specific destinations in DEVONthink, or just the Global Inbox. Some script tweaking is needed for the former import, and not for the latter. There are examples somewhere in this forum if you look at what others have discussed about this. I’m thinking specifically about the script “Add message(s) & attachments to DEVONthink.scpt” that you should find in ~/Library/Scripts/Mail/ and can use in a rule. In that script you’ll need to modify

set theGroup to incoming group

there are examples in the forum, but if that’s not satisfying or helpful then let’s revisit this thread.