Installing Devonthink on Secondary Computer ... MacBook Pro

Hi All,

I use DT3 on my iMac… The files are Indexed from Dropbox. My MacBook Pro also has the same Dropbox account linked - Same file structure etc… How do I sync these?

1. Index the same dropbox account on the MBP?
  2. Copy the Database from my iMac to the MacBook Pro?
  3. Sync the iMac via dropbox and then sync the MBP?

Is there a best option for 2 computers that Index a dropbox account ?

Thanks

All options are actually possible but the easiest & fastest solution is usually to ensure that Dropbox synchronized all files to both computers and then to copy the latest database from the iMac to the MacBook Pro. Afterwards you could start to synchronize both computers via any sync location (see Preferences > Sync).

Thanks for the reply … can you explain a little bit more ??

As I understand what youre saying, is I would have Dropbox syncing the same way on both computers … then move the current database from the iMac to the MacBook Pro and open it in Devonthink on the MBP… will the database in the MBP “Know” that its being indexed ?? an how do I keep them in sync ??

Thanks

Yes. It’s only required that the location of the Dropbox folder on both computers is the same.

You have to set up DEVONthink’s synchronization, see Preferences > Sync.

Great thanks! One more question. I am at work now and on the MBP… the iMac is home. Can I just make a new database on this MBP by indexing the same dropbox folder and then set up a sync (the iMac has NEVER synced DT3) … or do you suggest I wait until I get home and actually just drag the database over from the iMac to the MBP and then set up the sync?? I will defer to what you say is best practice.
Thank You!

Can I just make a new database on this MBP by indexing the same dropbox folder and then set up a sync (the iMac has NEVER synced DT3)

Even if the databases have the same name, they are not the same database and will never sync together.

o you suggest I wait until I get home and actually just drag the database over from the iMac to the MBP and then set up the sync

Yes, this is the better option.