Installing DT3 when I have DT2

I have installed DTPO2 and have now upgraded to V3 (serials etc).

Now I am about to install the new V3 and have cleared the Global Inbox. Is it just a matter of dropping V3 into Applications folder and replace?

please check the forum first, there are already several postings about this issue

I really have tried to search but to no avail. Could you kindly point me in the direction?

hello Feuizl,

I would recommend to use your sync stores instead of dropping large amounts of data into DT3.

If you need further help please keep me know.

Best
Steffi

Yeah, literally there are at least 20 threads about this.

Search for “global inbox” and “upgrade’ (2 separate searches), sort by ‘most recent”, read though each thread and u will get the info u need and very likely more answers for ur upcoming questions.
BTW: check the help document under " INSTALLING, UPDATING, UNINSTALLING"

A suggestion for help document to @bluefrog:

Some new users might have confusion between “updating of DT3” with “upgrading from DT2”. Perhaps the section “INSTALLING, UPDATING, UNINSTALLING” can add “Upgrading” and describes how to (1) transfer the global inbox and (2) fully uninstall DT2.n?

Thanks

I was considering that but the transition with the public release likely would negate that information.

I will likely draft something more formal for the forums and am discussing the documentation internally. Cheers!

What I did was back up all DT2 databases, install DT3 as normal. Unzipped the saved databases and opened them in DT3. It seems to be working fine. But then again, I don’t know if I’ll run into problems further down the road;)

Since the ZIP generates a copy of the databases, that should be fine. And I’m glad to hear you’re being diligent in your backups.

Regarding backups; will it be sufficient to do the Daily Backup Archive or should I also do seperate backups for each database every day.

I also use Time Machine.

Regarding backups; will it be sufficient to do the Daily Backup Archive or should I also do seperate backups for each database every day.

Considering the typical size of a DEVONthink database, I would not suggest using the Daily Backup Archive on an actual daily basis. I’d personally suggest using it on a more occasional basis, like weekly. However, the choice is obviously yours.

Time Machine will do its backups as long as its target drive is connected.

Ah…of course, the large file size. I see, thanks for the heads up, Bluefrog.

You’re welcome. It is a good option, but I see it as an occasional supplement. Perhaps if you were going to do a mass reorganization of a database, it would be a good way to archive a copy beforehand.

Cheers!