Interested in your scenarios / experiences around timeline related documents / knowledge (audio / video)

hey rmschne,

that is an interesting workflow around Hazel. so thanks.
and yes, I share your sentiment that DT can by now and with some scrutiny do some things that one would have done with Hazel otherwise in earlier days.

I suspect there is indeed some deeper misunderstanding involved. we can find out on which side and in what respect.
the whole purpose of this thread / scenario is not only related to ‘video / audio vs text-based forms’ in general (or in terms of philosophies of time, styles of knowledge etc pp.), nor is it general purpose metadata (like ‘file creation date’, ‘file author’ etc.) tied to files (– as in ‘pdf invoice could equal a video file’), but the specific affordances of using timestamps related to time-based media formats – that is markers on a timeline; chapters segmenting a timeline; and (textual) metadata specifically tied to that. (the YouTube markers / chapters picked up by DT and turning into an ‘interactive’ TOC – even if not searchable by DT – would be an example of that – see the initially referenced thread); Quicktime chapters and – potentially – their descriptions would be another case, that is as long as picking them up somehow allows for jumping directly to the point in the timeline they are referring to). Basically it´s all the stuff that is/was adressed by MPEG-7 (which somehow got stuck as universal metadata scheme / standard for these matters).
For clarities sake I quote the characterization of MPEG-7 here from Wikipedia:

So, as much as you are not sure what I am asking (– and I might have not been clear enough in outlining the scenario –), I am not sure in what way your example about invoices contributes to the context presumed / sketched here.
So, in other words: your example / contribution would be interesting and relevant to the topic / scenario if Hazel could process files based on information referring directly to the timeline, or to metadata attached / related to that. e.g. if in a video-file there is a time- or chapter-marker with some information (information not part of the general ‘description’ / ‘comment’ etc. field of the overall file), and Hazel could find that and act on that.
– in that case it would also be interesting to learn what metadata-scheme linked to timelines Hazel could process (– the same question stand for DT, YouTube, even the Apple AVkit).

so – if you tell me Hazel can ‘pick up a comment / marker on minute 3 for video xxx’ (either it being there, its name or even further metadata attached to it) and act on that finding specifically (just the same as on string-patterns in a pdf / rtf / doc / csv / whatever) that would be interesting in the given context here.

and that is why I asked back about your comment / contribution.

best!