Invalid Encryption key

Hi,

Shame on me, I lost my encryption key. When trying to install Devonthink on a new iPad, I have the dreaded message “Invalid Encryption key”.

Devonthink works no problem on my Mac and iPhone.

What should be my next course of action?

Thanks in advance.

François

1. Do a Spotlight search for Keychain and open the Keychain Access application.
  2. In the logins section on the left, look for a key named DEVONcloudy Encryption (name of service) like DEVONcloudy Encryption (Dropbox).
  3. Double-click it and check the Show password checkbox. You will be required to enter your Administrative password. (This is the password you use to log into your machine with.)
  4. Press Allow (or Always Allow, if desired) and the password will be shown.
  5. Take note of the password, then quit Keychain Access.
1 Like

Super!

Thanks a million.

You’re welcome.

Unfortunately this doesn’t work for me, I believe it is because I tried to guess the key, so the guess has replaced what is in the keychain. In any case, that key still returns Invalid Encryption Key

Hello,

I have the same problem as Denrael.
I even deleted the entry in the keychain and started fresh. But I still get the ‘invalid key’ error message.

Hopefully, there is a solution to this problem. Thanks!

Carsten

Deleting the keychain entry wouldn’t be sufficient as that doesn’t affect the sync data.

You need to control-click the sync location in DEVONthink’s Preferences > Sync and choose Clean Location. After the clean is reported successfully in Window > Log, you’d need to set databases to sync again.

Also note we have written regarding these things in the built-in Help > Documentation > Troubleshooting > Sync.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the tips. Unfortunately, the iPad still reports the error.

On the Mac sync to iCloud was successful as can be seen in the Sync preferences. However the iPad still reports the issue. It doesn’t matter if I use encryption or not. :frowning:

I am a little bit lost now.

It doesn’t matter if I use encryption or not.

You can’t just “use encryption or not”.

• If you specified an encryption key when you initially synced, you must use that key on the other devices.
  • If you didn’t specify a key when you initially synced, you must leave it blank on the other devices.

Please post a screencap of your sync preferences.

Mac:

iPad:

Hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket.
Thanks.

OK, done.